Questions regarding my grandpa's WWII stuff

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Jared_St

Questions regarding my grandpa's WWII stuff

Post by Jared_St » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you guys would know about or be able to point out what I can do with my grandpa's WWII stuff. I don't want this stuff to get ruined and there's a lot of history to it so I don't want to just keep it shoved in a chest for the rest of eternity and was hoping you guys could help with any ideas on what I can do?
Likes coffee, rations, and cheese. Will probably print things for coffee.

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Re: Questions regarding my grandpa's WWII stuff

Post by BTemple » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:33 pm

"Stuff" is a pretty broad term to use. What particular kinds of items are you talking about?
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Jared_St

Post by Jared_St » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:02 pm

BTemple wrote:"Stuff" is a pretty broad term to use. What particular kinds of items are you talking about?
Apologies on that! D: It's mostly his medals and badges, but also a lot of Japanese post cards and letters he took from fallen soldiers, I also remember there being quite of few other things, but it's been awhile since I dug everything out

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Do you have children? If you do give it to them and tell them to do the same when they get children.

If you don't have children, but you plan to have them - keep it for them and when you have children; give it to them.

If you are last of your kind (no children, no relatives) with no plans to have children donate the stuff to some museum. Selling it is the worst thing you can do.

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Asger wrote:Do you have children? If you do give it to them and tell them to do the same when they get children.

If you don't have children, but you plan to have them - keep it for them and when you have children; give it to them.

If you are last of your kind (no children, no relatives) with no plans to have children donate the stuff to some museum. Selling it is the worst thing you can do.
I second everything that Asger just said.
I have one of my grandfathers medals from WW2 as well as his service records and my son will get them some day.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Jared_St

Post by Jared_St » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Asger wrote:Do you have children? If you do give it to them and tell them to do the same when they get children.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do plan on keeping some of it, but I don't plan on selling any of it that's for sure. Just trying to find the best plan for it so the history isn't lost.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:42 pm

I have some medals from WWII and some photos.
First, it's an important keepsake. I recently showed my grandfathers WWII Purple Heart to a Priest. He appreciated seeing it.

But, it sounds like your eager to part with some of it for some reason. It's a mistake to part with it on a slim basis alone.

Note this. There were some important pictures from WWII that were drawn by my Uncle. They got lost. Somebody didn't care.
All the more reason why preservation is important.

I wouldn't decide quickly the what and how you are going to do with any of it. Secondly, if it were me I would immediately
start caring for it. Preserve the photos. Get a photo box that's designed to archive them. In other words, gather it all
up, organize it the best you can, and revisit it down the road.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Jared_St wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you guys would know about or be able to point out what I can do with my grandpa's WWII stuff. I don't want this stuff to get ruined and there's a lot of history to it so I don't want to just keep it shoved in a chest for the rest of eternity and was hoping you guys could help with any ideas on what I can do?
I suggest not selling, and keep things that are personal and speak to you. Also, if you are really desperate to part with them, there are many great museoms who could do your grandpa's items justice. Keep most of it in a cool dark area to preserve it! :)
Cheers
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:01 am

Look up "shadow box", a glass encased display usually includes a tricorner folded American flag, medals, photos etc. Suitable for display in an honored location, fireplace, breakfront, etc.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 am

In displaying photos watch for a location that doesn't have sunlight. The less the better. Have a old WWII photo that got exposed to excessive rising of the sun. It faded some but is still ok.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire