FRH disposal

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
Jen

FRH disposal

Post by Jen » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:24 am

What is the acceptable way to dispose of an FRH? I used the search function but got no results. I’ve been waiting until they’re cool and then just throw them in the trash.

carlosflar

Re: FRH disposal

Post by carlosflar » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:46 am

I havent found anything either but frh are made of a plastic tissue, metalic iron, salt and magnesium, when you start them the magnesium turns into magnesium hidroxide, that although it might sound scarry, its just a type of mineral, not really soluble in water , found in nature and i think its quite harmless... the iron and salt are too... so probably its complerely ok to throw them in the inorganic trash.
Also, magnesium hidroxide is used as antiacid and laxative so its not bad either for health so if it whereto en up a bit in your food or you touch the frh and lick your fingers or something like that... dont worry, its harmless...(but still, sont lick the frh please :mrgreen: )
It is also used as a fire retardant, so maybe you can find a use in that.... but the hidroxide, so after you use the frh... before you use the frh its ,agnesium, so completely the oposite, flamable...
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Great to know, thanks. Always wondered that.
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

Jen

Post by Jen » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks! I feel more comfortable throwing them in my trash now. Also, have good info to give in case my boss ever asks about it. :mrgreen:

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:07 pm

I havent tried this at all, so dont blame me if it doesnt work or if it turns out that is a bit more than i expected :!: But... Since the FRH are made of magnesium among other stuff, i havent been agle to check properly since the ones i have are rusian... If you get a bit of the powder, start with something like the amount the sice of a grain of rice, and you blow it into an open flame, i suggest the stove but if you dont have, a candle, but away from courtains and that sort of things... So if you blow the powder into the flame, with something like a straw(you put a bit on the inside and then blow out NOT IN) and if this works out (i havent tested it...) there should be a nice cool white flame that will impress the kids :idea:
blogs.png
Now... precautions as usuall, dont get the FRH close to fire, but this is in general... If you are doing this start small and wear sunglasses, and nobody in front of the flame...

DrakenJ35

Post by DrakenJ35 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:52 am

I somehow don't feel like trying this for some reason :mrgreen: I'll try to do this with a spoon taped to a long stick though, because who knows, might be cool.
On a more serious note, thanks for the explanation, the British rations I got to try were delivered without it, but now, if I buy more of them with the FRH, I'll be able to find out what to do with it.

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am

The normal ORP don't have FRHs inside, but the 12h ORP, the one in a bag, comes with frh inside :)
I want to try it but I don't have straws at home 😂