Heating Beverage Bags in US MRE's

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
AngryVeteran

Heating Beverage Bags in US MRE's

Post by AngryVeteran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 am

Hey everyone,

We all know and love the beverage bags for the US Military MRE. That clear little pest that just cant seem to stand upright for shit at any point in time unless you prop it up on something or as I will be explaining here, hanging it up from somewhere.

Some of things that you WILL need during your backpacking, FTX'ing, hiking, camping, training, overseas'ing is:
-550 cord (at least 3-5ft, if you don't have it then thats fine...use anything that is "string" or cordage that has high tensile strength)
-Beverage Bag
-ITems (misc to put in the beverage bag)
-Beverage mixes
-Potable Water(If palatable, make sure that you have water purification tablets or other purification devices to ensure you have safe water to drink)
REMEMBER, JUST BECAUSE WATER LOOKS CLEAR AND CLEAN, DOESN'T MEAN IT IS "SAFE" TO DRINK WITHOUT TESTING OR TREATMENT.

One of the things I learned to do in the military is hang my beverage bag from a tree limb and tie the other end of the 550 cord to my rucksack.
On Sunny Days, this helps to heat up the water (if meals or beverages require "hot or warm" water).

-Step 1: Some beverage bags are designed with a pre-existing small hole at the top. If not, grab a small knife, and carefully make a small hole above the ziplock of the bag.
-Step 2: Thread the 550 cord through the hole.
-Step 3: Find a branch that isnt too high and that is in direct sunlight
-Step 4: Fill the beverage bag with "safe" water to specified levels
-Step 5: toss the bag over the branch
-Step 6: Tie other end of 550 cord to a heavy object or backpack
-Step 7: Let Beverage bag hang for about 30 min to an hour or until the water is hot.
-Step 8: Then ENJOY with whatever HOT BEVERAGE You wish to enjoy with.

You can also stick beverage bag (filled) in the FRH, BUT YOU MUST WATCH IT CLOSELY! AND PLACE IT BEHIND THE RETORT POUCH AWAY FROM THE ACTUAL HEATER.

RockyRaab

Re: Heating Beverage Bags in US MRE's

Post by RockyRaab » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Not sure why you say to put the bag behind the retort pouch (where it never gets very warm at all) but I agree to never put it inside the FRH. Actually, I never put anything inside the FRH any more.

When I heat a meal, I slip the FRH inside the cardboard entree sleeve, then slide in the entree and side or bev bag on the opposite side. Both of them OUTSIDE the FRH. The last step is to add the water, watching the fill line at the bottom of the cardboard sleeve.

After a few minutes, pull the retort out and flip it over. Ditto the side, if any. That heats them evenly. (No need to flip the bev bag) When the meal/side are hot, just slide them out. No mess, no chemical crap on the pouches. The FRH is usually still hot enough to warm your dessert item, too.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:03 pm

RockyRaab wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:03 pm
Not sure why you say to put the bag behind the retort pouch (where it never gets very warm at all) but I agree to never put it inside the FRH. Actually, I never put anything inside the FRH any more.

When I heat a meal, I slip the FRH inside the cardboard entree sleeve, then slide in the entree and side or bev bag on the opposite side. Both of them OUTSIDE the FRH. The last step is to add the water, watching the fill line at the bottom of the cardboard sleeve.

After a few minutes, pull the retort out and flip it over. Ditto the side, if any. That heats them evenly. (No need to flip the bev bag) When the meal/side are hot, just slide them out. No mess, no chemical crap on the pouches. The FRH is usually still hot enough to warm your dessert item, too.
Yep, I've used your suggestion for several years now. So simple, yet so brilliant. No more mess, and heats just as well.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:40 am

It was one of those "palm to forehead" moments.

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am

RockyRaab wrote:

Nice. Great idea.
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

AngryVeteran

Post by AngryVeteran » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 am

It will heat up. In hindsight, I didn't really think this through. The situation worked for me. But, I thought about sharing it regardless. I just did that "trick" for those chilly EARLY mornings at the Range....But I think I like the you do it better. Next time I go to the Commissary and pick up a MRE I will keep your trick in mind when I decide to heat it. Also, from 2004 to 2013 (the period of time I served) we didn't have the fancy sleeves.....you still had to shove shit into the box lol. But, now they changed it, so I should change the way I do things. I appreciate you sharing the way you do it.
RockyRaab wrote:

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:42 am

I you get another box meal instead of a sleeve, open both ends of the box. Waa-La

RGoodellSr
eBay name: Goodell911

Post by RGoodellSr » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:20 pm

I've been putting the beverage bag inside the cardboard sleeve. Doesn't seem to matter much as the US FRH doesn't really get hot enough to cause a problem anyway. I do it more for good practice than anything because I don't want to get a really energetic FRH and forget to protect the beverage bag.
Please visit Rick & Aedyn on YouTube: MRE Goodell

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:49 pm

I've read most soldiers just use the bag to store their phone and other things they want to waterproof.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

StressfulGengar
eBay name: grafort_25

Post by StressfulGengar » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Alternative life hack: Just use the clearly superior Canadian beverage bags with a built in gusset. Not that Im biased or anything :wink: