Question about ration storage

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
PixleRations

Question about ration storage

Post by PixleRations » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I've got a few MREs sitting and I don't have a proper storage area, I'm currently keeping the room cold with a fan constantly blowing air into my collection.

My question is would it be an idea to store MREs and other rations in a fridge? I've got some extra cash to buy a ration fridge, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Thanks in advance.

DonJa

Re: Question about ration storage

Post by DonJa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:27 pm

PixleRations wrote:I've got a few MREs sitting and I don't have a proper storage area, I'm currently keeping the room cold with a fan constantly blowing air into my collection.

My question is would it be an idea to store MREs and other rations in a fridge? I've got some extra cash to buy a ration fridge, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Thanks in advance.
A refrigerator to store MREs and most other rations seems like overkill to me. Per DLA guidelines (https://www.acq.osd.mil/eie/afpmb/docs/ ... s/tg38.pdf), MREs are to be kept in dry conditions at ambient temperature. Cooler temperatures don't hurt, and may extend shelf life slightly. But it's more that higher temperatures degrade rations faster. A basement should be good, a closet at room temperature would also be acceptable.

Of course, not all rations are the same. Some military and commercial rations employ dishes and ingredients that were never designed to last longer than 1-2 years. Others, built for long-term storage are freeze-dried, and can last 10+ years.

My advice is to save your money. Or spend it on a case of German EPAs.

PixleRations

Post by PixleRations » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:29 pm

DonJa wrote:
PixleRations wrote:I've got a few MREs sitting and I don't have a proper storage area, I'm currently keeping the room cold with a fan constantly blowing air into my collection.

Thanks in advance.
A refrigerator to store MREs and most other rations seems like overkill to me. Per DLA guidelines (https://www.acq.osd.mil/eie/afpmb/docs/ ... s/tg38.pdf), MREs are to be kept in dry conditions at ambient temperature. Cooler temperatures don't hurt, and may extend shelf life slightly. But it's more that higher temperatures degrade rations faster. A basement should be good, a closet at room temperature would also be acceptable.

Of course, not all rations are the same. Some military and commercial rations employ dishes and ingredients that were never designed to last longer than 1-2 years. Others, built for long-term storage are freeze-dried, and can last 10+ years.

I don't have a closet or basement and I struggle to keep my room cool, especially due to my PC being in there and the heating being on a lot. I've been thinking about getting a bigger fridge anyway so I can keep both rations alongside more normal fridge items. I'm just concerned what a fridge would do to MREs and other rations.

DonJa

Post by DonJa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:30 am

PixleRations wrote:
DonJa wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a closet or basement and I struggle to keep my room cool, especially due to my PC being in there and the heating being on a lot. I've been thinking about getting a bigger fridge anyway so I can keep both rations alongside more normal fridge items. I'm just concerned what a fridge would do to MREs and other rations.
Oh. Then it should be fine. As I said, cooler is probably better than warmer, and room temperature too.

limp_noodle

Post by limp_noodle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:55 pm

How about an insulated cooler?

Throw some desiccant packs in there to keep tabs on humidity and you should be good to go.

Sgt Roop

Post by Sgt Roop » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 pm

I suggest a bigger place.

PixleRations

Post by PixleRations » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Sgt Roop wrote:I suggest a bigger place.
That's unfortunately not an option for me.

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:15 pm

PixleRations wrote:
Just buy a temperature controlled mansion on a private frozen island and fill it with rations. That would be acceptable, as well as generally affordable. :wink:
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

DonJa

Post by DonJa » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Simon2002mre wrote:
PixleRations wrote:
Just buy a temperature controlled mansion on a private frozen island and fill it with rations. That would be acceptable, as well as generally affordable. :wink:
Not all of us can afford that private temperature controlled mansion, sir. I myself, had to sell mine to fund my intergalactic spaceship.

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:20 pm

DonJa wrote:
Simon2002mre wrote:
PixleRations wrote: That's unfortunately not an option for me.
Not all of us can afford that private temperature controlled mansion, sir. I myself, had to sell mine to fund my intergalactic spaceship.
Ah the woes of life
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.