What is the proper temperature too store rations?

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
TummaTime45
eBay name: tiballa_0

What is the proper temperature too store rations?

Post by TummaTime45 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 am

I have numerous types of rations that I have sitting in boxes in my fully furnished basement that is prob around 60-65' F. Is that an ideal temp for the rations to be in? I want to get the longest life out of them. :)
TummaTime45 :)

YouTube: TummaTime45 https://www.youtube.com/c/TummaTime45
IG: tummatime45
Facebook: TummaTime45

kman
Site Admin

Re: What is the proper temperature too store rations?

Post by kman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 am

I think 60-65F is a great temperature at which to store them - they should last for many years that way. However, if you want them to last as long as possible, get them as cold as possible. I wouldn't recommend freezing them (besides the space it would take, one freeze/thaw might be ok on the food, but I wouldn't want it to happen often - constant freezing/thawing could stress the packaging, causing leaks).

TummaTime45

Post by TummaTime45 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks Kman! I will keep that in mind with freezing them. I am not sure if I can hold onto them that long because i will end up eating them :lol: . I know some rations like the Russian 24 hr ones only have a shelf life of two years. If I keep them around the temp in my basement they should last a lot longer correct?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:27 pm

For those Russian rations, I don't know about a "lot" longer...I haven't seen any studies (i.e. crazy people like us eating old rations) of old Russian rations, but I'd think you'd get a little more life out of them than storing them in hotter conditions.

TummaTime45

Post by TummaTime45 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Yeah that does make sense. I get a little iffy about those being past the " do not eat date" :lol:

housil

Post by housil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm

I had mine down in my cellar for 12 years at constantly 65F with no loss.

TummaTime45

Post by TummaTime45 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 am

That is truly amazing that they can last that long! Yeah I am just going to leave them down there and not even worry about them going bad! :)

DonJa

Post by DonJa » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:38 pm

TummaTime45 wrote:I have numerous types of rations that I have sitting in boxes in my fully furnished basement that is prob around 60-65' F. Is that an ideal temp for the rations to be in? I want to get the longest life out of them. :)
That's a pretty good temperature. There are a lot of different rations, all with different shelf life specs. Generally, the rule-of-thumb is, the cooler, the better, and the less the number of wet goods, the worse.

You'll get about at least 8 1/3 years out of a standard US MRE at that temperature. For a MCW/LRP, somewhere between 12-15. For a Russian IRP, maybe 3.

Most of the accelerated shelf life studies that logistics directorates ran used warmer temperatures as the main variable. I don't know how many militaries outside of the US and some other NATO countries ran those studies though. Generally the menus are updated before enough complaints come in from the field about spoilage.

TummaTime45

Post by TummaTime45 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Wow thanks for the input. I have a couple rations that are way over 8 1/2 years for the US MRE'S.

I have one Russian ration but that one won't be lasting long because it will be in my belly soon enough! :lol: :lol:

I guess there is only one way to find out if they are still ok. Just give them a taste and see how they held up!!! :)

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:24 am

I still have a partial case of 2001DOP MREs that I sample occasionally. We ate 1 a cpl months ago and everything in it was good to go. In fact there have only been a few bad items so far in the case.
it is what it is....