MREs with food allergies

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
Robotcrab

MREs with food allergies

Post by Robotcrab » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:10 pm

One thing I've not seen in my MRE travels is MREs with food allergies in mind. Unfortunately due to a health condition most MREs have main dishes I can't eat, which sucks but I still enjoy watching the review videos. This got me thinking about putting together a list of MREs suitable for food allergies or at least see if I could find an MRE that was at least 80% edible for me.

In my case I'm allergic to soya, tomatoes and dairy. This completely destroys almost any ready meal let alone a MRE designed for long shelf life. Soya flour is dirt cheap and most breads and cake bars use it for padding. Whey from milk is also pretty much the same in cakes. Almost any main dish will contain tomatoes in the sauce since they're key ingredient in curries, stews and pasta sauces.

I'd love if someone knew of a MRE I could try most of but I also think an allergy list would be useful to have. Lots of people do amazing videos and I think they could easily throw in a "contains X, Y, Z" thing at the end. Would be interesting to compare what countries use the most soy if nothing else, that stuff tends to be pretty bad for you even without allergies.

wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Re: MREs with food allergies

Post by wats6831 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Robotcrab wrote:One thing I've not seen in my MRE travels is MREs with food allergies in mind. Unfortunately due to a health condition most MREs have main dishes I can't eat, which sucks but I still enjoy watching the review videos. This got me thinking about putting together a list of MREs suitable for food allergies or at least see if I could find an MRE that was at least 80% edible for me.

In my case I'm allergic to soya, tomatoes and dairy. This completely destroys almost any ready meal let alone a MRE designed for long shelf life. Soya flour is dirt cheap and most breads and cake bars use it for padding. Whey from milk is also pretty much the same in cakes. Almost any main dish will contain tomatoes in the sauce since they're key ingredient in curries, stews and pasta sauces.

I'd love if someone knew of a MRE I could try most of but I also think an allergy list would be useful to have. Lots of people do amazing videos and I think they could easily throw in a "contains X, Y, Z" thing at the end. Would be interesting to compare what countries use the most soy if nothing else, that stuff tends to be pretty bad for you even without allergies.
Danish, UK, Dutch, French and Aussie have extensive lists of allergen contents.

Eistee
eBay name: mjulian-de

Post by Eistee » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 am

The UN rations also have an Allergen sheet that tells you exactly what allergen is present in which item in the ration

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:52 pm

i'm pretty sure you could eat the spanish B3 menu, it has Beef with sauce, pickled mackerel, pear with syrup and spread, the sauce from the beef is meat sauce and the doubt i would have is with the spread... not sure if that could contain some soy flour... if you are interested i could dig deeper and find a ingredient sheet
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar