Question on shipping single mre's

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
henner

Question on shipping single mre's

Post by henner » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:39 pm

I am new to shipping Mre's. I am wondering what you guys write on the deceleration form for the package ? I intend to ship single Mre's.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Re: Question on shipping single mre's

Post by parafireboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:59 pm

henner wrote:I am new to shipping Mre's. I am wondering what you guys write on the deceleration form for the package ? I intend to ship single Mre's.
In my experience, the postal employees where I ship won't let me just put the "camping supplies" that works for others, but I put "processed camping food" and haven't had any problems yet. So far that has worked for singles as well as packages with multiples.

henner

Post by henner » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:20 pm

I will give that a try. I guess the worst thin tat can happen is they will take it away.

Thanks Jim

housil

Post by housil » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Depends to where you sent. If it goes international and has to pass customs, that can become a pain in the ass...

Delicious
eBay name: piograbo.g96x9if

Post by Delicious » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:09 pm

Camping supplies works quite good, but it depends where the parcel/letter goes. e.g. Japan -it will be probably opened. I've traded with a Japanese guy and he always sent me a letter to the customs stating what is inside, how is the value and that it doesn't contain milk or products from North Corea...
Have access to: Polish, French, UK, US, sometimes other.
Interested in:New Zealand, Jordan, Israel, any South America
Ration reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo9H0e ... u9BsrZzK5g

wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Post by wats6831 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:10 pm

what about collectors item or military memorabilia. These ARE for collections sometimes anyway.

Synthpeter

Post by Synthpeter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:33 pm

I don't think they care that much whether you say it's collectible or not.
They see organic stuff in there with the x-ray and their biggest concern is that it doesn't pose any hazard.
Collectible doesn't mean anything in that regard, but maybe "commercially preserved and packaged camping supplies" makes them think it's gone through some proper cooking processes to kill off any harmful stuff.
I bet they're not after the value or collectability. It's about eliminating risks to local flora and fauna, and the public.
But I'm just guessing :)

wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Post by wats6831 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Synthpeter wrote:I don't think they care that much whether you say it's collectible or not.
They see organic stuff in there with the x-ray and their biggest concern is that it doesn't pose any hazard.
Collectible doesn't mean anything in that regard, but maybe "commercially preserved and packaged camping supplies" makes them think it's gone through some proper cooking processes to kill off any harmful stuff.
I bet they're not after the value or collectability. It's about eliminating risks to local flora and fauna, and the public.
But I'm just guessing :)
meh it's worth a shot. There are tons of reproduction MRE collectibles/memorabilia. Some govt drone may just glance at the paperwork and figure it's gift.

Actually, just marking as a gift seems to work really well with other sorts of import restrictions. I don't think you even have to say what the gift is just that it's not hazardous.

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:23 pm

I usually label all the packages i send as food, inside the EU there is absolutely no problem as long as you say its non-perishable, as perishable food cant be send though mail services... Also, if you send a package with a insurance, keep in mind that some companies wont accept insurance claims if you label it as a collectible or colecionist piece...
As for the USA... Quite few things change... There is a law against bioterrorism that says that all organic items shipped to the USA must be notified to the FDA via a prior notice document (wich is a pain in the ass to fill and costs 20 bucks...), so if you label your package as food you may be asked for this paper when sending TO the USA, a few exceptions apply, like home made food not for trading and a couple more things... You can also be asked for veterinary analisis if you say there is meat...
I'm talking from some tedious experience with this stuff, it has only happened me once but its a thing that might happen, so if shipping to the US, i wouldnt label it as food...
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

housil

Post by housil » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:51 am

Note the "local" customs regulations:

Into the US:
If you are a private individual who wishes to send beverage and food items to the U.S., you should be aware that some items are highly restricted, particularly food items with meat products, including soup mixes, bouillon, sausages, tinned meats, etc., and fresh produce.

Into Canada:
no goods containing meat

Into Europa:
The Community rules do not allow the importation of meat, meat products, milk and milk products

So if you label your parcels, label them correct (but just don´t mention the prohibited items and hope... :wink: )