Favourite ration beverage?

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
FREMONT

Re: Favourite ration beverage?

Post by FREMONT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:26 pm

I enjoy those MRE dairy shakes :)
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

sparkingdogg
eBay name: sparkingdogg

Post by sparkingdogg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Diario coffee in most of my recent ones. Had some in an LRP today. Nothing to brag about. Better than the old Sanka stuff though. That stuff tastes like burnt bakelite plastic. Not sure I have had the Type III yet. Hope it's better.
I love the smell of 2 stroke oil and MRE coffee in the morning!

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:49 am

That's a tough one. I'd have to say it's the dairy shakes from the US rations, especially the vanilla and chocolate ones! Second would be the hot cocoa.

SD_Jeff
eBay name: Sluggowins

Post by SD_Jeff » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:44 pm

FREMONT wrote:I enjoy those MRE dairy shakes :)
I had a Strawberry Banana one last week and it was good, no doubt. I did get a bit worried about the little floating chunks that wouldn't dissolve, but I threw it all down anyway.

Jeff

Garron
eBay name: Bigg1989

Post by Garron » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Any of the new Brit 24 hour ones, especially the lemon its very refreshing and tastes similar to a British sugar candy and exotic which is similar to the exotic in the EPA they are made in Germany. The new ones much better than the old 2 flavours - lemon and orange.

currahee

Post by currahee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:27 am

I had only US MRE and CZECH ration beverages, but I love the MRE fruit punch.

I must mention that the MRE grape beverage has so weird smell and taste, that its actualy good :) It Reminds me of specific type of muscat grape, the moravian muscat. But I strongly doubt, that was the intention :D

elandil

Post by elandil » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:46 pm

housil wrote:
elandil wrote:
I know Canada has started using the Nescafe 3-in-1's and other blended beverages. So it may be something we do see in the future.
Serious?
I get this also in the grocery over here.
very. :)

oktoberskyline

Post by oktoberskyline » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:54 am

elandil wrote:
sparkingdogg wrote:COFFEE!! :shock:

Of course I am a caffeine addict LOL. I would personally be very happy to see the US MRE contain a better coffee though. I am not a Starbucks fan, but their Via instant coffee packets are excellent, taste like real brewed coffee. The Folgers tea bag single coffee packets are even good, and cheap. The military boys and girls deserve better coffee than what's in a US MRE.
The problem is the Folgers and other name brands they used to put in kept going bad too quickly. Honestly, the last incarnation "Coffee, Type III" has been pretty decent.

I know Canada has started using the Nescafe 3-in-1's and other blended beverages. So it may be something we do see in the future.
Outside of it going bad too quickly, Starbuck essentially hates the military, they refused to send us bulk ordered coffee in Iraq, saying it supported the war which the company did not. As far as my favorite drink, not being a coffee drinker, mixing the old cocoa and freeze dried coffee up from the US MRE or the orange drink. But definitely not the fruit punch.

sparkingdogg
eBay name: sparkingdogg

Post by sparkingdogg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:37 pm

oktoberskyline wrote:
elandil wrote:
sparkingdogg wrote:COFFEE!! :shock:

Of course I am a caffeine addict LOL. I would personally be very happy to see the US MRE contain a better coffee though. I am not a Starbucks fan, but their Via instant coffee packets are excellent, taste like real brewed coffee. The Folgers tea bag single coffee packets are even good, and cheap. The military boys and girls deserve better coffee than what's in a US MRE.
The problem is the Folgers and other name brands they used to put in kept going bad too quickly. Honestly, the last incarnation "Coffee, Type III" has been pretty decent.

Outside of it going bad too quickly, Starbuck essentially hates the military, they refused to send us bulk ordered coffee in Iraq, saying it supported the war which the company did not. As far as my favorite drink, not being a coffee drinker, mixing the old cocoa and freeze dried coffee up from the US MRE or the orange drink. But definitely not the fruit punch.
No wonder I don't like Starbucks. Use their Via coffee a few times a year, on adventure motorcycle trips. After this I will probably not use them anymore. Bought a latte a few years ago, cost $5. I said "never again" and I haven't been back.

On topic, I had a 2013 chicken and noodles US MRE for lunch today as I was away from home. It had the Type III coffee. Big improvement over the Diario and Tasters Choice IMO. Not bad at all with a half pack of sugar and the whitener. Very drinkable. Almost "good". :P

I think it's the first one I have had. Last case was all Diario.
I love the smell of 2 stroke oil and MRE coffee in the morning!

jonathonreid14

Post by jonathonreid14 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:30 pm

The US dairy ones are... interesting :D

The UK 24 hour mint chocolate is amazing, as is the orange isotonic drink you sometimes get in them.

I've had coffee from 2 US MREs now, and both times I thought it was pretty good!