Best stoves out there

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
sdrozza

Best stoves out there

Post by sdrozza » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Which stove would you bring with you on a camping trip?
"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - Ayn Rand

housil

Re: Best stoves out there

Post by housil » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:48 pm

ESBIT for personal use but also a camping cooker

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:59 pm

I also prefer the Esbit over any others. Small, lightweight, effective. I like how you can store fuel tablets inside the stove assembly itself. Takes up very little room, but works great. My second choice would be my Trangia alcohol stove, but there is a little more bulk associated with that one, especially if you have to carry extra alcohol.

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Post by Conrad » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Have a little folding esbit stove.
What about wood stoves?

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:16 pm

IMG_0061.JPG
For the most part I like the alcohol jet stove pictured above. 1 shot glass of denatured alcohol will boil a canteen cup of water in about 3min.Bought it on eBay for $5 shipped. I like the esbit aswell.
it is what it is....

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Swiss M71

and a pocket stove like this
20161105_135520.jpg

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:19 pm

I love my Original Gangsta Gen 1 Firebox Stove. It may be a bit heavy but that things is a beast. I'm eventually going to get one of those pot things so I can bake stuff in that thing too.

Here's a link to their vid page if you're curious what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/user/fireboxstove/videos

Synthpeter

Post by Synthpeter » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Sorry for the totally unqualified post, seeing as I'm neither an outdoors type of person, nor have I ever used an esbit stove.
I've only used an alcohol burner a few times while I did military service some 22 years ago.
But after reading a bit on the web, some people recommend esbit type stoves over alcohol burners also for safety reasons.
If you're in the forest (or indoors, hehe) using an alcohol burner and you spill the fuel out (in particular while it's on fire), things can get very bad very quickly. Esbit doesn't spill and is easy to put out I hear. Of course you can still set things on fire but the resulting fire is more managable than a liquid fuel I imagine.
At least that's what I read :P
Maybe one day I will set foot outside my apartment.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:56 pm

That is true about the safety factor. While accidents can happen with any flame-producing equipment, it is very easy to bump an alcohol stove and have fuel spill out, which can get out of hand quick if you have other flammables nearby. Still, each has it's benefits, and I still use both regularly. I do like that the alcohol stoves don't leave the black residue (as long as you use good quality fuel of course). That being said, there are ways to avoid that with Esbit stoves also (using aluminum foil to line the bottom exterior of your mess kit for example, a trick I learned on here).

I've seen the "bio stoves" that Asger mentioned. Those are pretty cool, with the benefit of not requiring any fuel to be carried with you. They do leave a lot of soot on your mess gear though.

elandil

Post by elandil » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:58 pm

it depends.

for personal cooking....the Esbit Hexy burner is the bomb. as long as you have a semi-fireproof spot and a bit of ventilation, you can cook almost anything.

for camp trips with multiple people...I tend to use a butane burner. Lightweight, just like using a gas burner at home, can handle up to a 12" wide pan with ease, long lasting....our last camping trip we set up 2, and made a full breakfast (eggs, bacon, CB Hash, coffee) for 10 people with ease.