Best stoves out there

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Re: Best stoves out there

Post by parafireboy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 am

I've been reading up on the small wood / organic matter stoves that some backpackers recommend. They are a little labor-intensive since you need to find kindling and small pieces of wood, then start the fire, etc. I do like the fact that you don't have to rely on liquid, gas, or solid alcohol tab fuels. If you're hiking, you're pretty likely to be able to find fuel for these anywhere you make camp.

It's still not my first-line stove for outings, but it's nice to have a reliable backup. I was impressed with the quality of the flame, they really do work as advertised and put out very little smoke. The downside is that they will blacken any mess gear you use with it. I did find a solution though. Just like I've read about in other people's posts here, I use some aluminum foil as a liner when heating a pot (which the stove nests perfectly in when dismantled for storage).

So, all-in-all, it's not my favorite stove out there, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on these types of stoves. :)
IMG_5765.JPG

Eistee
eBay name: mjulian-de

Post by Eistee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:20 pm

parafireboy wrote:I've been reading up on the small wood / organic matter stoves that some backpackers recommend. They are a little labor-intensive since you need to find kindling and small pieces of wood, then start the fire, etc. I do like the fact that you don't have to rely on liquid, gas, or solid alcohol tab fuels. If you're hiking, you're pretty likely to be able to find fuel for these anywhere you make camp.

It's still not my first-line stove for outings, but it's nice to have a reliable backup. I was impressed with the quality of the flame, they really do work as advertised and put out very little smoke. The downside is that they will blacken any mess gear you use with it. I did find a solution though. Just like I've read about in other people's posts here, I use some aluminum foil as a liner when heating a pot (which the stove nests perfectly in when dismantled for storage).

So, all-in-all, it's not my favorite stove out there, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on these types of stoves. :)

IMG_5765.JPG

I have that exact same stove and i must say im pretty happy with it, it doesnt use much fuel (small twigs burn quite long).
Also the flame it produces is really hot, boils water very efficiently.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:29 pm

I purchased the following little stove (eBay) after watching fatoutdoors review... inexpensive and the blended fuel cans where only $5. bucks each at Academy Sports... have not used it... bought it as emergency for hurricane season.

Pure Outdoor Micro Titanium Backpacking Stove

mahalo