Purchasing from private sellers

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
Drew78

Purchasing from private sellers

Post by Drew78 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Just a heads up..good idea when purchasing especially cases of rations to let the seller know to package the case with a wrapping of some sort ..I got a case of older c rations and the seller wrapped the whole case in clear tape..and put the shipping sticker over part of the dateam codes...now I can't take label off without ripping the dates off ...just let seller know when you order not to cover any of that info!

kman
Site Admin

Re: Purchasing from private sellers

Post by kman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:48 pm

That's a good suggestion. When I've sent MRE cases in the past, I've wrapped them in heavy-ish brown paper and put the label on there. That worked fine for a few FedEx shipments but then one time when I dropped it off at a FedEx store, they refused to take it - saying that it couldn't be wrapped in paper. I have a feeling the FedEx guys who pick up from my house don't really care but the store workers do...so be warned.

Nowadays, since finding a cardboard box that exactly fits an MRE case is a rarity, I usually just slice up an existing, larger cardboard box and wrapping it around the MRE case - making it a custom fit. Add a generous portion of shipping tape to secure it and it should be set!

housil

Post by housil » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Drew78 wrote:now I can't take label off without ripping the dates off
Use a hairdryer or a heat gun, warm the tape so the glue becomes "soft" again and you can easily removed any sticker, tape etc. without destroying the cases surface. That´s how I do it all the time.

Drew78

Post by Drew78 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks..that's what I am trying..but the guy wrapped it in clear packing tape so tight then fed ex sticker..then more clear packing taope...bottom layer doesn't want to come off easy! THANKS for the info though!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:57 pm

If you ever get a box from Housil, you'll understand how much he loves his hot glue gun. :-)

housil

Post by housil » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 pm

kman wrote:If you ever get a box from Housil, you'll understand how much he loves his hot glue gun. :-)
If it´s OK for the Army, it´s OK for me :mrgreen: :wink: