Translation Cam

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
rabidwolf

Translation Cam

Post by rabidwolf » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Recently someone told me about these. There are apps that you can download to your phone or mobile device. That use the built in camera to translate other languages.

I'm not certain how they all work. The one I am currently testing. You take a picture (from within the app) of the article or item you want translated. Select the language settings, and viola!
It can be hit and miss. Naturally, if it is a free app, you will have to deal with ads.

The one I am testing, is named Scanner&Translator Cam. Found in the Apple App Store. In searching, just type in "translator cam" to the app store search bar.

Once I get done with a bit more testing. I will edit this post with examples. Should be handy for deciphering the contents of foreign rations.

That do not come for some form of English (or whatever your first language may be) translation.

Norton

Re: Translation Cam

Post by Norton » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:29 pm

I downloaded one for my cell phone and used it for the Russian IRP.
It did not really give an 100% clear translation but it sure helped. Example words Sugar, Salt, Pepper, beef all translated into English perfect. Words for Fruits such as Apple translated perfect. The Word for Army translated into English perfect

Some were close.. Chocolate came out Shocloate
A can of Pate said Forcemeat.. Looked it up and found this is a common word for meat that have been finely ground.
Some word in the ingredients, translated correct other did not.
So I would say it is a very helpfully tool, but still check with a native speaker if you can .

It was about the same for Chinese, some common words like salt, sugar, Pork translated with ease
Other words did not

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:41 pm

Awesome tip! I would imagine these extremely beneficial to not only ration enthusiast but to people from around the world as well.
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Yeah, I've used a few of those with mixed results. I keep getting in my vid comments use google translate or an app....funny thing, scan the same thing 2 or 3 times and sometimes you get different translations. I still use real people when I can to translate but these apps do work in a pinch.

Cheers!
GD

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Fri May 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Interesting... will check it out... since yawls post was mid '16 , maybe newer apps will be much improved.

mahalo

ironwarning

Post by ironwarning » Sat May 13, 2017 3:36 pm

i use google translate
Regards
IronWarning
Check Out my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGwpuN ... tb9D9Vwqeg

fatoutdoors

Post by fatoutdoors » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:47 pm

I use google translate. Works pretty good assuming the packing has clear text and isn't muddled by stylized graphics. Not a babble fish yet but getting tech is getting closer.