MRE Flavor Box, Also new member

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
EricTheMarine
eBay name: Izahealyou

MRE Flavor Box, Also new member

Post by EricTheMarine » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:26 pm

Hey guys, new member and new to this forum. Stumbled across this forum and thought Id share an idea I had while in the Marines. Here is the updated system I run now. I may or may not try and find a company to produce a marketable version of this.

MRE Flavor Box

Inside this admin pouch are 8ml plastic vials filled with a various amount of seasonings. More salt than anything else as that is the most important one for survival. The small vials are 2ml, and those are to be thrown to someone else while not giving them the larger container. Also in the bag is MRE spoons, a Lighter, and an altoid tin filled with matches.

As we all know, not every MRE tastes good. Well not an issue now. and This pack works great for the woodsman. I take it camping all the time. All my seasonings for what ever I cook.

So what do you guys think? How would you improve it? At the very least thanks for looking.

-Eric Rice

dirtbag

Re: MRE Flavor Box, Also new member

Post by dirtbag » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:14 pm

I think it's a great idea, but...
I'm not sure a bag of various powders will go over with the Brass Hats.(and drug sniffers)
Commercial labels would help, I think.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum!!!
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

laughing_man

Post by laughing_man » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:43 pm

It's interesting!

EricTheMarine

Post by EricTheMarine » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:17 pm

Yes you are correct. My thoughts would be for plastic vial sized seasoning shakers. Ones that can not be reloaded (prevents those bad seeds from filling them with drugs). I definitely agree on factory writing. I wouldn't sell it as is right now.

The system I used while in was a little different. I used washed mini tabasco bottles and filled them with seasonings. Problem was I couldn't fill them with much. It was a big hit with my unit, even more so in Afghanistan.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Looks interesting! When you go to finalize the design, I would be cautious of the durability of those tubes, from personal experience I could break/smash anything carried on my Body Armor, or in my cargo pockets. Also check how heat effects the spices, last thing you want is a brick of pepper in your MRE - or to not be able to get it out at all.

EricTheMarine

Post by EricTheMarine » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Very valid issues! Thanks for pointing them out. As for durability, with the current vials there has been no issues as far as breaking or leaking. I am rough on my stuff, and even in a pack they have been solid. I keep 2 vials in a gun bag, with aleve and antibiotics in them, even with fully loaded mags hitting them they both were fine on my hike up in yosemite.

"Brick of pepper" funny you mention that. So far that has come up, just like with any of your standard spices at home. The best I have found to fix that issue is to not fill them all the way (they are 8ml, but have space for 10ml) and shake them up prior to opening. Perhaps I should look into a more flexible plastic? One that would allow you to break up the chunks of seasoning. Hmm great feedback! Thanks. I think I might go that route instead of trying to make them harder, ill look into softer and more pliable. That would also help make them more disposable and cost less. If I market something like this in the future I don't want it to cost my brothers and sisters an arm in the leg at the PX.

-Eric

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm

I think softer and pliable is better, make sure whatever plastic you choose it is BPA free though.

Hair-FIN

Post by Hair-FIN » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:05 am

Hello from Finland and welcome to forums!

Nice idea you have, but real spice is gravel and blood that grinds between tooths..... :P

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:56 am

First off, thank you for your service, Eric!
Second, welcome to the MREinfo Forums! It's a great place with a ton of information and an eclectic group of awesome folks!
Third, I think your MRE Flavor Box is so brilliant, I am for certain doing to same setup and having this as my newest addition to my hikes/adventures.

I was just out on a small island near Fort Desoto here in FL for the past week and I caught so many fish.. only supplemental food I had was a case of HDR's for the week and the only seasoning I had was ground red pepper & salt & pepper from those HDR's.. it woulda been nice having such a variety of seasonings to go on the Redfish, Mullet, & Conch's that I ended up catching.

Brilliant idea and thank you again for sharing it! :D

housil

Post by housil » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:00 am

Hy from Germany and welcome to forums :D