a discussion of mess kits

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
ancienttyrael
eBay name: apiontek11

Re: a discussion of mess kits

Post by ancienttyrael » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:12 pm

Self Reliance Outfitters has a reproduction swedish stainless steel M40 kit up for preorder. 80 bucks, ship date is around September for US. Considering the prices for original I immediately grabbed one. Hopefully the quality is solid, been looking for something like this for a long time. Wasn't ready to drop 200 bucks on the originals.

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/ ... 0-cook-set

ancienttyrael

Post by ancienttyrael » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:03 pm

Not to double post but its been a while and I finally received my mess kit. Its pretty shiny and hefty, I don't got a real m40 to compare with but feels like its very durable. Have to wait for a weekend to give it a try. Definitely didn't come with an alcohol burner but I got a tatonka stove that would go with this perfectly.

Teddydogno1

Post by Teddydogno1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:52 pm

@ancienttyrael

Thanks for posting that info. I had seen mention of it and was considering purchasing the set. Have you tried it yet? What do you think of the quality? Happy with your purchase still? Thanks!

Rob

ancienttyrael

Post by ancienttyrael » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:43 am

Very happy!

No surprise its a bit hefty but I was able to boil up water or cookup a quick stew while out and about on hikes. The shine goes away once you start torching it but honestly the stainless steel look gets scratched so easily this helps to hide some of that. I do prefer the bare exterior don't have to worry about burning some toxic paint into my food. There's a bit of flex to it, I do feel like its thin but I don't have an original so I can't do any comparison. its not gonna dent as badly compared to the aluminum kits tho. Alot of room inside, I keep my stove, fuel, and fire gear in there along with some drink mixes as a mini survival kit.

If I had one real complaint its the bail hook, I really wish this was removable so its easier to pack the kit in a bag. Probably could bend that out with some pliers and solve the problem myself.