MRE Matches

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
Nawt

Post by Nawt » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Nice collection mreheater,

I had no clue that there would be so many different ones, imprseeive :D .

w.r.t. the lines, I guess it's good that they care about a soldiers safety as well :wink: .

Nawt.

Big Galloot

Re: MRE Matches

Post by Big Galloot » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:29 pm

The Dept of Defense says that eating match heads doesn't work; www.eustis.army.mil/PDFs/DODInsectRepellentSystem.pdf
You can pick your friends
and you can pick your nose
but you can't roll your friends into little green balls!

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:21 am

First, I apologize for resurrecting a thread five years old. Second, I registered just to make this reply - but intend to be an active poster as I enjoy MREs a lot.

So, to the entree of the matter: The entire discussion about match heads as an insect repellent seems to center on the premise that matches contain sulfur. In fact, they contain none. The active ingredient in matches is phosphorous, not sulfur. This makes the "meat" of the argument moot.

As introduction, I flew 300 combat missions in Vietnam as a Forward Air Controller (combat in a Cessna!) and had the experience of eating everything from WWII C rats to LRPs to Linen and silver at a General's mess. Also enjoyed a lot of meals supplied by Montagnards - almost lived on monkey noodle soup, water buffalo, dog, fish heads, and rat for eight months. After all that, MRE's are far from the horrible fare that some folks claim -- at least for me.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

housil

Post by housil » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Welcome to forums.
We hope we can have lot´s of your experience