MRE Matches

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
DangerousDave

Match trick(bottle-rocket)

Post by DangerousDave » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:37 pm

Take a fired brass case, any size, and fill it with powdered match tip powder. The size of the case is the problem. 22 LR cases are best for the test. Use a toothpick, or wooden match stick for a tail, crimped into the round, with these things called "Pliers". Light it, and Beavis and Butthead would sheitte their pants. UUUhhhh. :roll:

Avariel

Post by Avariel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:53 pm

"As living organism are known to consist of cells divided by septa (membranes), then it is reasonable to admit that the function of the temperature curtain is accomplished by the membraine, i.e. the cellular membrane. But what supplies the thermo-regulating function of the membrane and how is this function provided? Let's look for the simplest answer again. Could it be sulphur? First of all, the concept of "sulpheric bridges" is classic, well-known since the times of Goodyear, who discovered the volcanization reaction of rubber mixed with sulphur. This reaction is thermodependent (only in the body is this reaction reversible, and the body temperature of 36.6 degrees centrigrade is eveidently that of the sulphur metabolic balance). Secondly, sulphur in this role cannot be matched. Thirdly, sulphur is quit a common element in nature. Forthly, according to the Table of Elements, sulphur is the closest chemical equivilent to oxygen; it participates in almost all the reactions which oxygen does and because of this, seems to be tranferred, like oxygen, by hemoglobin. It is not hard to understand that there is a global transportation device covering all parts of the body.
Thus, as temperature increases, sulphur "volcanizes" the membranes, decreasing the intensity of cell transfer processes. This phenomenon explains a paradoxical situation: while rising temperatures normally increase the speed of body processes and the intensity of chemical reactions, a clear decrease in body metabolism is noted in subjects (fatugue, malaise, low capasity for work). But at the expense of decreasing membrane penetration (in spite of increasing speeds of intracellular processes) the exchanges between the cell and its surroundings decreases."

In layman's terms; notable amounts of sulphur in your body lower your metabolism, as it thickens the membranes around cells and makes it harder for energy transfer to happen between them. Sulphur is also similar to oxygen in it's atomic makeup; so, in a sense, eating sulphur matchheads could theoretically lower your body temperature an indecipherable half degree or so and make you suddenly unappetizing to said mosquitos.

Not scientifically proven, but possible :P And it's obviously worked in the field, I used to do it in Iraq and the mosquitos ate me ALIVE, otherwise, so I could tell that it worked, myself.

Demoncase

Post by Demoncase » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:53 pm

Do you realise how much sulphur you need to ingest to lower your body temperature as a result?...You can do it 100% effectively and lower your body temperature considerably- that's because you will be chilling in th morgue.

Sulphur, when ingested in quantity, is a violent purgative causing massive water loss and all sorts of damage to your balances- read some Victorian books that talk about 'Physic'-that's sulphur mate.

In lesser therapeutic dosages, sulphur tablets were used in the 1960s to treat acne. All they do is create massive amounts of Hydrogen Sulphide to be created in the colon and you to lose all your friends who have a sense of smell.

Sulphur bridges exist all over nature- agreed.....but comparing what goes in your body to Vulcanisation in monomeric rubber? Are you joking?...Vulcanisation happens at 120oC+. The human body is a pile of dead protein at 45oC...so no vulcanisation, sorry.

Vulcanising membranes?....The membranes of your cells are dual layer protein molecules with a hydrophobic end outwards and a hydrophillic chain of fatty acid inwards.

And Haemoglobin does not pick up sulphur- it's a multi-site chelate enzyme that reacts only to oxygen bearing molecules....Which is why people die of carbon monoxide poisoning- the CO bonds to your haemoglobin.....Free gaseous sulphur or sulphur compounds never get to the blood stream when inhaled as they are strongly acid gases and damage the alveoli of the lungs that they essential liquefy and you leach plasma and cellular cytoplasm into your lungs until you drown.....

Frankly, your laymans terms fail to understand the complexity of even a single cell of an animal organism- it's not just a bag of goo with a membrane around it- there are several highly complex organelles within a cell making it a microcosm of the body....Go look up the structure of cellular mitochondria and see what I mean- if your 'membrane vulcanisation theory' is right then the second you 'crosslink' these membranes you die a painful death.

Basically you theory has been simplyfied to the point where it is wrong.

And yes it worked for you....but you are 1 data point.
I'll stick with DEET which is laboratory proven.
我在你的市场,窃取你的销售
Trans' from Chinese= "We are in your marketplace, stealing your sales"

Avariel

O Rly?

Post by Avariel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:26 pm

Demoncase wrote:Do you realise how much sulphur you need to ingest to lower your body temperature as a result?...You can do it 100% effectively and lower your body temperature considerably- that's because you will be chilling in th morgue.
Your cellular temperature needs to be around 39 degrees for volcanization of the membrane to occur...death doesn't occur until around 42 degrees. A small margin, but an existant one, nonetheless.
Sulphur, when ingested in quantity, is a violent purgative causing massive water loss and all sorts of damage to your balances- read some Victorian books that talk about 'Physic'-that's sulphur mate.

In lesser therapeutic dosages, sulphur tablets were used in the 1960s to treat acne. All they do is create massive amounts of Hydrogen Sulphide to be created in the colon and you to lose all your friends who have a sense of smell.
Well, your key words there were "ingested in quantity." I'm sure while eating matchheads isn't exactly going to turn you into a beaming figure of health, in small quantities it could probably be effective without causing you to expunge various liquids and gasses from your various orifices.
Sulphur bridges exist all over nature- agreed.....but comparing what goes in your body to Vulcanisation in monomeric rubber? Are you joking?...Vulcanisation happens at 120oC+. The human body is a pile of dead protein at 45oC...so no vulcanisation, sorry.

Vulcanising membranes?....The membranes of your cells are dual layer protein molecules with a hydrophobic end outwards and a hydrophillic chain of fatty acid inwards.
I'm sure the rubber diagram was used as a visual description of what similarly happens to your cell membranes once they reach a certain temperature, not to insinuate that your cells act exactly like monomeric rubber.
And Haemoglobin does not pick up sulphur- it's a multi-site chelate enzyme that reacts only to oxygen bearing molecules....Which is why people die of carbon monoxide poisoning- the CO bonds to your haemoglobin.....Free gaseous sulphur or sulphur compounds never get to the blood stream when inhaled as they are strongly acid gases and damage the alveoli of the lungs that they essential liquefy and you leach plasma and cellular cytoplasm into your lungs until you drown.....
To correct you, not only is sulphur an oxygen bearing molecule, but hemoglobin does bind to sulphur, although not in a pure form.

"In similar fashion, hemoglobin also has competitive binding affinity for cyanide (CN-), sulfur monoxide (SO), nitrogen dioxide (NO2), and sulfide (S2-), including hydrogen sulfide (H2S). All of these bind to iron in heme without changing its oxidation state, but they nevertheless inhibit oxygen-binding, causing grave toxicity."

So, there's evidence that the theory is, at least, possible, and it could explain why certain people with higher body temperatures (i.e., me, I tend to walk around on average at a flaming 99 degrees F) tend to ward off mosquitos when small amounts of sulfur are digested. Is it a proven theory? No...I'm almost positive I said that in my first post. *checks* Yup! It's there. Thanks for posting your information, though, and I'm certaintly glad you feel like a "big man" now. The partonizing tone in your post was just wonderful, really made me want to take your viewpoint in stride.

I find it ironic that people shy away from toxic matchheads, and choose to use toxic DEET, instead. :P I remember that shite made my lips go numb in the field.

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:10 pm

I find it ironic that people shy away from toxic matchheads, and choose to use toxic DEET, instead. I remember that shite made my lips go numb in the field.
You're not supposed to drink it ! :lol:
My nose goes numb first :P
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

Nawt

Post by Nawt » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi there,

I took the freedom to reply on this topic since it relates to my 'discovery'.

I was digging in my stock of MRE leftovers and found an acc pack (2011) with red 'matches'. Since I was quite surprised with my discovery I posted it here. Perhaps there are others who've already seen them. The only matches I noticed before were the yellow ones ( I added on the right).

unfortunately the acc.pack was already open so not suitable anymore for saving as an MRE oddity.

Greetings Nawt.

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:27 am

Nawt wrote:I was digging in my stock of MRE leftovers and found an acc pack (2011) with red 'matches'. Since I was quite surprised with my discovery I posted it here. Perhaps there are others who've already seen them. The only matches I noticed before were the yellow ones ( I added on the right).
Hi,

as you certainly know, the colour of the matches itself and their heads varies from time to time. Beside those ones with the red head I have even seen some with blue heads. Will go in my basement and take some photos on occasion.

So long mreheater72

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:01 pm

Hi guys,

I was in my basement a few minutes ago and took these pics of the matches with different colours:

Here three different inscriptions on the front of the matches card box:

Newest version:

MCI and dark brown MRE version:

Found this only once in about 250 matches:

So long mreheater72

bl00k
eBay name: bl00k

Post by bl00k » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Thats pretty cool. So i'm guessing they change the colors every now and then to raise morale of the soldiers.

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:28 pm

bl00k wrote:Thats pretty cool. So i'm guessing they change the colors every now and then to raise morale of the soldiers.
Lowest bidder...
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO