Resealing and reusing MRE bags

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
beazle00

Resealing and reusing MRE bags

Post by beazle00 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:43 am

Having numerous MRE items around and some bags gave me this idea. I wanted to be able to some of these items with me easily or keep them in the car. I decided to experiment by resealing the tan pouch with my foodsaver vaccum packer. Sure i could have thrown the stuff in a ziploc bag but that wouldn't have looked as cool. So in went crackers peanut butter, jelly, cookies, cocoa, coffee, FRH, some candy i had lying around and I even managed to cram a 500ml water bottle in. I decided to seal the pouch in the same spot twice as that MRE pouches are thicker than foodsaver bags. Sure enough it worked with minimal vaccum packing too as that MRE pouches lack the air channels that foodsaver bags have. Unfortunately the seal is not peelable so a knife/sharp/pointy thing would be handy.
don't have a foodsaver maybe this will work, plastic welding with a soldering iron
http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/BBF6B ... /?ALLSTEPS

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:05 am

Interesting idea, beazle00. I might have to give that soldering iron trick a try with some of MRE bags I have lying around the house. I just hope the ebay asshats don't pick up on your idea and start repackaging their own MREs and selling them as new!

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:40 am

Hey, cool idea!
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

BackwoodsPundit

Post by BackwoodsPundit » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:05 am

Yet another good use for the MRE "trash"

I know someone who uses the MRE boxes for bandoleer silencers