MRE gum and tabasco sauce = laxatives

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
Maxrobot

Opposite of laxative

Post by Maxrobot » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:00 pm

Back in '77 when I was given my first C-rations, my commander warned us that the rations were designed to "bind you up". Years later at my regular job a co-worker had been a BAR gunner in the Army in the Korean war. His worst memory was living outdoors with diarrhea and having to crap on frozen ground with the stuff running down his leg in the wind.
I was perfectly OK with the idea that field rations would offset any onset of the runs.
As an aside, back in '82, I stayed a couple of days in the BOQ at Edgwood Arsenal with a buddy of mine who worked in a lab. This 2lt told me that he was told that the instant coffee powder had an extra stimulant in it as the whole purpose of the coffee ration was to keep you alert and awake.
Keep up the Fire!

Nawt

gum

Post by Nawt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:14 am

I normally don't look at the gum contents anymore, since I usually find them too sweet. But there's a point of truth in it. Most of the gums produced in the Netherlands it is even stated on the package: "overmatige consumptie kan een laxcerend effect hebben" Wich means as much as: "do not overeat on the gums or you might get the runs" :wink: . So apparently there's is some sort of ingredient in the gum that could work laxative. I'll try to get a picture posted next time.

It could also explain the toilet paper :wink: If the MRe's would plug you up, you wouldn't need the paper. But it is always great to get a fire started with your 'fire starter'. :idea:

Kind regards, Nawt

Nawt

pic's laxative

Post by Nawt » Tue May 01, 2007 12:28 pm

Alrighty. Here are some pic's of the text on the gum.
Attachments
DSC08338.JPG
Overview
Sportlife.JPG
detail Sportlife
Wrigley's.JPG
detail Wrigley's

German_EPA
eBay name: advenutre-world-shop

Post by German_EPA » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:45 pm

Eddo36 wrote:You know that when you eat an MRE, it stays in your system for a long long time. Chewing the gum that comes with it makes it easier to make it come out faster.
yeah - there is a truth in this sentence .... :lol:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MILITARY/OUTDOOR/CAMPING/EMERGENCY-FOOD
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: My shop: http://www.adventure-world.de

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bishopmarine

Post by bishopmarine » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:00 pm

i can remember the dark brown mre's kind of stopping me up but not the newer ones. we were told about saltpeter in the food at parris island also. but it had no effect on me if it was in there. especially when i would get a steamy letter from a young lady back home. i remember getting some pictures and our di's took them and hung them up inside there office on the window where we could all see them when walking inside the squadbay.
"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War;
shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered
to not wear their khaki leggings.

Baldy

Post by Baldy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:48 am

Halger280HVMag wrote:Fifty years ago, I remember being assured that the food served in Army Kitchens contained Saltpeter. :shock:

I was assured that this would quell my amorous ardors, and keep my energy levels high, so that I could be a better soldier.... :roll:

I believe that every boot camp, in every Army, has similar stories told to gulible recruits. :lol:
Yep, it's a story that just refuses to quit. In Commonwealth countries they usually mention 'bromide', not saltpeter. I once read that any decline in libido amongst military recruits can be put down to exhaustion and stress, which is a pretty sound explanation IMHO.

Spike Milligan once wrote: 'I don't think the bromide had any lasting effect, the only way to stop a British soldier feeling randy is to load bromide into a 300lb shell and fire it at him from the waist down.' :lol:

MCIera

Post by MCIera » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:00 am

Saltpeter, aka Sodium Nitrate, is an essential ingredient in a number of foods that we all know and probably love. e.g. bacon, ham, SPAM, corned beef, frankfurters/hot dogs, most luncheon meats, etc. If it didn't have any effect in civilian life, it's not likely to impact your experience during military service. However, the sodium level and it's potential contribution to elevating blood pressures to hypertension levels might lead to the media generated condition known as "E.D."

cat
eBay name: tigerfiles

Post by cat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:07 am

I work at a chemical company and we hear this rumor often. I've even had women calling and saying they want to put it in their husband's food to stop them from having an affair. Needless to say we advise this not be done as it will have no effect and can raise heart rates to dangerous levels. The reality is small amounts of nitrate will have no notable effect on ones libido (it's well documented, and I personally tested this).

For more on the military food rumor see: http://www.snopes.com/military/saltpeter.asp

Saltpeter usually refers to Potassium nitrate, Chile saltpetre refers to Sodium nitrate.
Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltpetre