MRE item secrets

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
t9alejandro

MRE item secrets

Post by t9alejandro » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 pm

So i have learned from my military bud's that all the items present in MRE's also serve secondary functions like..........

tabasco sauce, can be spread under the eyes to keep you awake longer

the packaging is made matt and dole so it is less reflective from the sun. same at the earth color.

My question and request is. Please share what you know what all items can be ALSO used for and why. i would like to make a youtube review and list some of those trricks. i realize there are some posts that give certain ideas but i kinda wanted to combine them here.

Thanks for all the info

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Re: MRE item secrets

Post by Ruleryak » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Welcome to the forums Alejandro!

My personal favorite secondary uses for some MRE components are:

Use the spoon and matches as a fire starting aid in wet conditions - The matches are not waterproof, but are moisture resistant and will strike better than standard matches in damp conditions. The spoon, when ignited, will burn well for several minutes. The burning spoon can be used with relatively damp or wet tinder and will dry it out and get your tinder going before it goes out.

Use the Flameless Ration Heater (FRH) as a distraction/weapon/etc - The FRH produces hydrogen gas when activated. That gas can be channeled or trapped depending on what you need it for. You can make a candle while you cook (seriously, it will keep a low golden flame if you channel it through a straw made out of rolled plastic from the MRE bag). You can make a bomb by trapping the gas in a sealed container (eg. take a plastic soda bottle, drop the FRH in, add a teaspoon or so of water, seal the bottle). By itself it will make a deafening noise and can damage items/surfaces depending on how it's used. If placed within a foot or so of an open flame, the explosion and noise can be accompanied by a fireball. Because of the ability to control the timing with the materials used to contain the gas and the amount of water given to the FRH itself, it can be used as an effective distraction. Another use I know of for the gas would center on it's lighter-than-air properties. If you fill a balloon (not necessarily available in the field) or plastic bag, it will float.

I hope this helps! I know some folks wouldn't necessarily recommend explaining how to use the items to create a bomb but it's a free country and I didn't see anything specifically saying I couldn't explain that to you so enjoy!

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:01 pm

I heard stories that the MRE bags are good to take a nice dump on the move.They are good portable crappers.... :mrgreen:
"Live long and prosper..."

ChrissaDiehl79

Post by ChrissaDiehl79 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:16 am

Carry exter water, make cord out of it for trappng small game, fill it full of air and seal it burl it in the ground cover with dirt use it as a dummy mine or if someone steps on it it should got pop, party hat, keep some gear clean and dry in it like photos
They are resealable
==]Only the ones how have trained there body and skill will surval in) that is life

Travelowl

Post by Travelowl » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:36 am

We used to put the tobasco in the FRH bag and make pepper gas bombs. Though when it "explodes", the resulting mess coats everything and means that touching those things will burn for months after that. Ask me how I know!!

rabidwolf

Post by rabidwolf » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:47 pm

As some have pointed out, the MRE spoon has many other useful uses. They can be used in the construction of a Claymore tripwire. Attached to radio handsets to assist the function of the transmission button.

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Travelowl wrote:We used to put the tobasco in the FRH bag and make pepper gas bombs. Though when it "explodes", the resulting mess coats everything and means that touching those things will burn for months after that. Ask me how I know!!
Please explain more, I have never heard of this. Do you think this will work better in more "volatile" FRH's?
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

magu2k

Post by magu2k » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:16 am

Not quite as good as some of these ideas, but you can always hang on to unused cheese spread, honey, peanut butter as some extra on the go calories that take up very little space. I think Canadian IMP's are specifically made so that you will more likely do that, rather than eat at the same time as the main course.

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:31 pm

one guy explained me that you can eat purification tablets after eating local food if you dont trust it if you want to avoid stomacal problems... but i wouldnt try it honestly XD
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

housil

Post by housil » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:31 am

carlosflar wrote:one guy explained me that you can eat purification tablets after eating local food if you dont trust it if you want to avoid stomacal problems.
That´s harmful nonsense!
They contain chlorine and silver ions that work great against germs as also against your natural entera flora what gives you more the shits as the local food could have caused... Image

Silver ions also harm the human cells so that´s why they avoid them in antiperspirants since 2014