what does "Salsa verde" (and other condiments) go well with?

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
TurtleNomad

what does "Salsa verde" (and other condiments) go well with?

Post by TurtleNomad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Next on my list of 2009 menus to eat is the #4 Maple Sausage, except I'll be substituting the Omelette.

The one item that confuses me is what is the "Salsa verde" meant to go with?

I suspect not the granola or pop-tart, but I'm severely condiment impaired, so who knows. ;)

I recently tried the Taco Bell "salsa verde", and it tasted kind of... bland. Is the MRE condiment similar, or way better, or ???

And what about the apple butter?
My first guess was it goes on the crackers, but maybe it would work on the scone?

I could construct a taste matrix, and try 'em all, but figued I'd hit up you folks, first. :)

I'm also wondering about the #15 Picante sauce.
Should I put it on the beans or the Enchilada, or maybe dip into it?

And how about the #19 Steak sauce?
Pour it on the entree or ???

Help me MreInfo, you're my only hope! ;)
I'm just a spice/condiment impaired Northerner who grew up on Scotch-Irish food, so never learned this stuff.
- Kate

P.S. When I have the omelette, I plan to use the tobasco sauce (my very first experience with it!), as per TheEpicenter's suggestion. :)
The important thing is the spices.
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.
- Shephard Book, "Serenity" (the pilot), Firefly

ak70g2

Re: what does "Salsa verde" (and other condiments) go well w

Post by ak70g2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 am

#4 Omelet + Salsa Verde = "WTF is that?"

A combination of two things without any taste. The only thing it works with omelet is some MSG and steak sauce.

Salsa verde is useless.
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

housil

Post by housil » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 am

I also never had that MRE so I can only guess.

Actually "salsa verde" is just a "green sauce". Here in Germany you eat it (in State of Hessen) to potatos and boiled eggs

The "Frankfurter green sauce" is made from e.g. mayonaise and 7 herbs

@Adrian you are right, it´s nothing "hot" nor "spicy", it´s just a "nice sauce" that has a certain herbal taste.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:03 am

I put the Salsa Verde on the Maple Sausage a couple days ago..To me it tasted pretty good. I put salsa (store bought)on eggs at home all the time. I ate an omlete from an mre once. I wasnt impressed..I think I threw most of it away.. The apple butter put on crackers, biscuit or wheat bread..

Bobby

sw342pd
eBay name: sw342pd

Post by sw342pd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:46 pm

housil wrote:I also never had that MRE so I can only guess.

Actually "salsa verde" is just a "green sauce". Here in Germany you eat it (in State of Hessen) to potatos and boiled eggs

The "Frankfurter green sauce" is made from e.g. mayonaise and 7 herbs

@Adrian you are right, it´s nothing "hot" nor "spicy", it´s just a "nice sauce" that has a certain herbal taste.
Hi,

housil and adrian - you misunderstood something - the Salsa Verde (Frankfurter Gruene Sosse) you mean, housil, has nothing to do with the "salsa verde" - that is a lightly spicy sauce, I think with avocado or guacamole or so - looks a little like gelee. Sometimes it`s eaten on hotdogs too!

Here I found something in google:
In Mexican cuisine and Tex-Mex dishes are usually served cold tacos and green and red spicy sauces. Known as salsa verde tomatillos pureed version includes, chili or Jalapeñopfeffer, coriander and lemon juice.
images.jpg
images.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 7990 times
images[2].jpg
Salsa Verde
images[2].jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 7990 times
"forge ahead"