FROSTING YOUR POUND CAKE... WITH A DAIRYSHAKE?

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
dermeister025

FROSTING YOUR POUND CAKE... WITH A DAIRYSHAKE?

Post by dermeister025 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:55 am

The inspiration for this MREventure was none other than fdsman's birthday! In my quest to make an MRE birthday cake (that wasn't just a pound cake with a candle) i stormed up the idea of using a dairyshake to make frosting with, rather than cocoa beverage powder. The main reason being that i didn't have any cocoa bev powder handy! Also i was thinking it would be nice to have a different flavor frosting like strawberry or vanilla, but as luck would have it i only had chocolate handy... but i would think the recipe would be about the same with the other flavors.

For starters, there's between 3/4 and 1 cup of powder in the dairyshake bag. That would be enough to frost a few pound cakes!

I started with 1/4 cup chocolate shake mix, dumped in one packet of sugar, but skipped the creamer since the shake is milk powdery enough already.

I poured in about a tablespoon of water and mixed - too much! luckily i had lots of left over powder so i threw in another 2 heaping teaspoons of it and kept mixin! The trick is de-lumpifying the stuff, we all know how that shake powder is! Try squishing it against the side of your bowl, that helps!

Basically it's just a matter of stirring until you get the right consistency, then just dump it in the middle of the pound cake and spread!

It wasn't bad, but it tasted much more like a dairyshake than frosting. I figure it needs more sugar, but i was trying to work with just the components in the mre... next time i'm gonna cheat and add more!

Add one standard, Natick approved, FDA rejected candle and serve!

And now, the final result!

Enjoy!

***The author of this recipe takes no responsibility for any side effects caused by "dairyshake cake frosting"® and instead shifts all blame to the United States Government :P Candle is not edible. Please eat mre's responsibly.*** :wink: :wink:
- Support Search & Rescue - Get Lost!! ;)

MreKampr

Post by MreKampr » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:52 am

Interesting experiment
I Tried making strawberry ice cream with a mixed Strawberry
shake and freezing it
it seems to self destruct
Looking at the instructions i should have known better
"Consume Promply(Within 1 hour)"

Whats that familiar lookin substance in the unlabeled bottle? :)

kyle

Post by kyle » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:36 am

Hey Dermeister,good job,thats just too funny,Thanks for my first good laugh today!
Ye who live by the sword,get shot by We that don't!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:40 am

Alright...finallly an alternative to the cocoa frosting. I like choocolate enough, but I'm much more a vanilla fan. Now I just have to find where I left those dairy shakes...

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:19 pm

Awesome, thanks for the birthday shout-out.
Last edited by fdsman on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dermeister025

Post by dermeister025 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:44 am

I would have sent it to you, but i just couldn't find a candle that would burn long enough to make the trip!

dermeister025

Post by dermeister025 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:01 am

Update: I finally managed to open an MRE with a vanilla dairyshake mix, so i can attempt a batch of vanilla frosting! When/if ever i get time of course... maybe i'll try it at the upcoming SAR exercise, and scare all the non-MRE people... or maybe convert some of them!

slister33

Post by slister33 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:40 am

I should have tried that. Im sure ill get some vanilla soon from my case.