How to use a HEXAMINE cooker....

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
housil

Re: How to use a HEXAMINE cooker....

Post by housil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:11 am

Cracker wrote:
The tar like substance on the heated object was a reason to dump esbit burners for me..
I used to buy Swiss "Notkocher 71" burners.. simply cans with alcoholjelly.. you can heat about 6-8 meals with them before dumping them, selling for around €10 per 4 at european militaria markets ($ 14 at the moment)
I like to use my ESBIT (Erich Schums Brennstoff in Tabletten) as I have my stove now "for ever" and the ESBIT is easy to supply and carry.
I also have that Swiss made cookers, they are available all over Ebay Germany pretty cheap. I never tried it yet due to the limit of 6-8 meals. Thats one parcle of ESBIT, but less of weight and space consumption. Especially if you have to carry a second and thrid swiss cooker with you for a longer trip.
Half of an Esbit cube (military, not civil one!) is enough to heat up one entree, so one package is enough ESBIT for 12 meals

But that "invisible" blue flame thought is great! :D

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:08 am

Trust me.. try them, love them, never stop using them :D

The 6-8 use is with longer storage times.. after closing the can the first time (when it's hot) the rubber seal burns and cracks.. after a while the alcohol eveporates a bit.. so it might do 1 or 2 meals more if you use it daily..

The weight and space consumption is only relative.. they weigh about as much as a esbit burner, and only take a little bit more space (it's just another form)

The advantages really count up against the negative sides from esbit..

The tar problem is bad, the vapors from esbit/hexamine are very toxic, the smell of esbit, and the flames are to big.
Especially in foxholes the alcoholjelly burners save you from headaches.. they are also much easier to light (a little spark is more then enough for alcohol) .. by the way, the less light part only counts when there isn't any wind (if there is windblowing the flame will have a yellow "tongue")

Believe me, if you already have them, try them, and you will love them ;)
If you'd rather not, I'd be happy to swap some against a Dutch ration..

I just can't live without them anymore ;) and the most expensive thing about those things are the shippingcosts.. a €2,50 can costs €12 shipping..
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

housil

Post by housil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Cracker wrote:
Believe me, if you already have them, try them, and you will love them ;)
If you'd rather not, I'd be happy to swap some against a Dutch ration..
I have them :wink:

A flat rectangular ESBIT stove is much more easier to store (e.g. in buttback) than that round can.

Burning down ESBIT in tent´s a.s.o. is prohibited at all!!
I have tham as "Plan B", in case of a real emergency, but will not use them as my regual cooker. Take your intrenching tool, dig a little sqaure shape hole, put the Esbit stove in there and everytning works fine. See EPa video over here for instruction at Bundeswehr basic training.

Cracker

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 pm

I know how to use them ;) I know everything about burning my fingers trying to light them inside of a foxhole..

I'm just used to stuffing the burners in my backpack, it worked fine for me,
and if the Dutch army means "keep you gear light" they mean that you should take everything with you except for your car..

The notkocher 71 can be used indoor, as long as you keep it ventilated (to prevent CO² and CO build ups that could force oxygen out of the room)

housil

Post by housil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:45 pm

Cracker wrote: (to prevent CO² and CO build ups that could force oxygen out of the room)
Inhaling too much CO² causing you unconsciouness (called "CO²-anesthesia" PCO² > 60mmHg)

CO is explosiv!!!!! Also CO displaced oxygen from the hemoglobin. Its bond to hemoglobin is 300-400 times stronger than oxygen. You will die from CO intoxication.

Cracker

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:23 pm

I didn't know CO was explosive (actually had to look it up to believe it), but you are right about the red bloodcells, they prevent oxygen from attaching to your bloodplates..

It's nasty stuff, but if it gets enough oxygen it shouldn't be a problem.

saladp

Post by saladp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:10 am

I am a lover of esbit stove :wink: . esbit fuel also see it with a lot of waste and here in Spain is very expensive (around 9 € package mountaineering stores, when you are ... :evil: )

Spanish military fuel tablets are not available (I've never seen separately sold outside the ration), but like many things have solution if you go another way ... I heard of these tablets BBQ fire initiators civilians: crack-fire

the same company makes military tablets with the container, aluminum (barbecue on plastic). the factory is in Barcelona, Spain

http://www.roig-llorens.com/divisionquimica1.htm

http://www.roig-llorens.com/divisionmilitar1.htm

are slightly smaller in size (in cold or windy day you can have it use 2 to heat a can), but the 24-pack worth € 0.95 :D

leave in oven more or less the same residue but does not cause bad odor and smoke:) (YES military version that gives a bad smell and tend to "explode" before shutting down :shock: ) and seems to get dirty unless the can or cup

The manufacturer explains that these tablets are not toxic (unique in the world market European certificate), and contains no petroleum

greetings to all

norge

Post by norge » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:40 pm

saladp: if you can gett me some spain rations=24hour rations
il ship you a load of british ex royal marines hexamine fuel tablets(fuel only,not the stoves)
there is 8 pieces in each box.

cheers ken in norway

saladp

Post by saladp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:21 am

norge wrote:saladp: if you can gett me some spain rations=24hour rations
il ship you a load of british ex royal marines hexamine fuel tablets(fuel only,not the stoves)
there is 8 pieces in each box.

cheers ken in norway

sorry, norge, but machine translation to English this confused and do not quite understand your message :oops: :oops:

bypah, luis0449 ... help! s.o.s! you can give me the correct translation? thanks!

This year 2010 promises to learn the English language ... and smoking cessation, and exercise, eat less, do not know bad girls .... :wink:

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 am

:idea: "norge te dijo que si quieres intercambiar con el raciones españolas el te puede enviar varias cajas de tabletas de combustible "hexamine" del ejército británico(Royal Marines).... 8 tabletas por caja" :mrgreen:

At least I'm using one of my degrees, translation.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Al menos le estoy dando uso a lo que estudie en la uni...je je je je !!!
cuidate!
8)
"Live long and prosper..."