Ranger Cookie

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
Laxcat9

Ranger Cookie

Post by Laxcat9 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:20 pm

I learned this one from some prior service guys when I was in ROTC. It's called a "Ranger Cookie." Camping is the best venue for this particular recipe, as you'll see below.

Required items:

1 cocoa beverage powder packet
1 used cardboard box from an entree or side dish
1 packet sugar
1 packet creamer
1 campfire (hence the reason this is best when camping!)

Instructions:

1. Open the cocoa beverage powder, sugar and creamer packets.
2. Pour the sugar and creamer into the cocoa packet and mix together thoroughly.
3. Then, fold the cocoa beverage powder packet at the open end several times so the mixture will not escape.
4. Place the folded packet all the way down into the cardboard box.
5. Very carefully (for obvious reasons), place the cardboard box into the glowing embers at the bottom of the campfire.
6. Let cook for 2-3 minutes (when the cardboard is all burnt away is a good benchmark).
7. Remove item from the fire. Peel away the packet and you will have a fully cooked, hard, chocolaty Ranger Cookie.

Important! It does not take long for this to cook - any longer than 2 to 3 minutes and you'll have a charcoal briquet for a Ranger Cookie.

Bon appetit!

Tom

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi,

the recipe I know is much easier! I "learned" this recipe in the eighties from some GIs during the REFORGER exrecises in Germany: They took a cream substitute from the Accessory Packets and roast it still in the wrapper with a lighter for about a minute. The result was a cookie, that tasted not really good! I´m not sure, whether this cookie is really good for health, cause of the inner plastic patina of the cream substitute wrapper!

Greets mreheater72