TRICK #3 FROSTING YOUR POUNDCAKE

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
DIRTYDAVE

TRICK #3 FROSTING YOUR POUNDCAKE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:18 pm

Here is another trick I learned tonight from again, Kman's A week of MREs thread.

Instead of eating your poundcake plain, why not spice it up by mixing up some cocoa bev powder and some water and make some frosting to put on it. It looks great and can do wonders for morale.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:51 pm

Here you go, from the thread "A Week of MREs" over in the general section:

I decided this would be a great opportunity to work on my pound cake frosting mix. I had a spare cocoa beverage powder leftover from lunch so I dumped in the packets of creamer and sugar from lunch, added just the right amount of water and stirred it all up.

This is no easy task, let me tell you. You see, you have this pouch full of dry powder and you put a little water in and stir...but that's a lot of powder and just a little water. Before you know it, you think your water is all soaked up and you decide to add more...and then more...and just when you think you're finally getting a good mix, you realize you've overdone it and all of a sudden you don't have frosting, you have a very runny cocoa mix. It's still good to eat with a spoon but it won't work as frosting.

So I found the trick is to just add a little water and stick with it. Eventually it'll either work out to the right consistency or else you'll just have a dry, dusty block of cocoa powder and you'll be forced to concede defeat and and a little more water. It's an art and just takes practice.

You can see my results below. My frosting was just a touch over the line of runniness - you can see it start to slide over the edge of the pound cake - but it was slow moving and I managed to scarf the whole thing down before too much frosting escaped. And yes, that is a bite I took out of the corner - I wanted to try the almond poppyseed pound cake in its natural form.

Almond Poppyseed Pound Cake with Cocoa Beverage Powder Frosting