TIP #2 TEARING OPEN AN MRE POUCH

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
DIRTYDAVE

TIP #2 TEARING OPEN AN MRE POUCH

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:16 pm

I just learned this one tonight from Kman's A week of MREs thread.

Instead of being a dummy like me and tearing off the top of the bag off from left to right or right to left, tear a small bit in the bag and take a 90 degree angle and tear the side of the pouch open. It will allow you to access your food easier....MAN, DO I FEEL STUPID, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT? :x
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:48 pm

Here's what I wrote in another post titled "A Week of MREs" over in the general section:

Hold the pouch on its side, grab the top-most notch and tear down about 1/2 inch. Then instead of continuing to tear along the short side, make a 90 degree turn and tear it along the long side. I got it to work the first try and with a little practice I can probably make it a lot neater.

Here are the pics:

Image Image Image Image

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:01 pm

UPDATE: In another thread, new forum member Mike Sparks just pointed out a link to his web site on "Decluttering MREs":

http://www.combatreform.com/declutter.htm

After reading through his site, it hit me that this was the original site where I read about the tip of cutting your MRE entree open along the long side to make it easeir to get to the food. Here's the full .jpg where he draws out his suggestion:

http://www.combatreform.com/http://www. ... ne1997.jpg

So thanks to Mike for this great tip!

OT

Pouch

Post by OT » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:30 pm

This may have been covered before. I ate an mre today at work (In the field) Its was a cold high wind day. I still tear the pouch from the top. (old way) I also use the carboard container to hold the pouch while eating. I just take the pouch out of the FHP when done cooking and put it back in the carboard container. I just tear the top 1/3 of the carboard to be the same height as the torn pouch top. It seemed to help with heat lost and keep the pouch a little warmer. Does this make sense??

FYI

OT

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:32 am

Sounds good to me OT. I just cannot tear my MRE the way kman does, he is the MASTER MRE TEARER. Sometimes even when tearing the top off of my entree, like a red sauce entree, I tear it and get to the end to tear the top completely off and the sauce will splatter all over the place, not good when wearing a white shirt. I am too anal to leave that little flap hanging there, but then again, I guess I could since I micro all of my meals... :lol:

OT

Loud and clear

Post by OT » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:23 am

I hear you dave. I still open the old way, but its messy. Got it on my uniform yesterday. When Camping we usually prop the pouch up (stick) near the fire or cook the main meal in a non stick cook pot with a backpacking stove. I save the FHP for emergency...or fireworks. I will be eating another mre at work.....(now what to eat.....)

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:28 am

Hi OT - that's a great tip about putting the entree back in the box to eat - and just tearing off the top 1/3 of the box. Whenever I heat up my entrees real good, I end up having to hold the entree in a towel or something to keep from scalding my hands. I'll have to give your new method a try.

And DirtyDave...don't feel bad about not being able to tear the MRE bag along the side like that - I've only done it a couple of times myself - most other times, I use a knife. :-)

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:58 am

That Mike Sparks guy has one hell of a lot of time on his hands. Geez, he has the most links in one paragraph that just boggle my mind. The guy must be a professor or something.

Using a knife is again, something I never thought of...geez, I think I am getting dumber in my old age...thanks for the revelation kman.

I have not taken any MREs out in the field yet, because I have not gone out into the field. I eat them all sitting on my couch watching a movie ala TV dinner style...LOL!

Thanks for the info OT, keep it comin'.

OT

Kman

Post by OT » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:10 am

I took pictures of how I tear the pouch and carton. I will send to you if you like. Gotta get the download to another computer...long story.

OT

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:35 am

Sure thing - just send them my way and I'll get them posted.