TRICK #1 MRE HEATER

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
DIRTYDAVE

TRICK #1 MRE HEATER

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:14 pm

The first tip/trick that Kman taught me was how to get an MRE heater to fully and uniformly heat up the entire entree.

I complained one night to kman that the heater was just not fully heating up the whole entree, only the very bottom was hot while the middle and top was still room temperature. Kman told me that once I put the entree in the bag with the water to hold the top of the bag tight and shake up the whole bag...kind of like you are making a SHAKE AND BAKE chicken...LOL!

OH MY GOD, IT WORKS, IT WORKS...give it a try.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:43 pm

No no no! Don't blame me for getting people to shake and bake their entrees in the heaters!

I just said put the water in, close it up, put the whole thing back in the entree box, and slosh it around gently to make sure the heater gets soaked. With the newer, fast-acting heaters, I can only imagine what would happen if you actually shook it up real good.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:17 pm

LOL! Okay, let me revise...SLOSH AND BAKE....slowly slosh and bake your MRE entree....LOL!
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

SoFloAuthor

Post by SoFloAuthor » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:55 am

If you lay the heating entree "on a rock or something" with just a slight angle you may get better heating results as well....

When I do my TV interviews, I always shake the heating meal to speed up the process....just drop the entree into the heater, pour the water over the heater (not just into the bag), fold the top over nice and tight and slip it back into the box....then give it slosh/shake, heater side down to coat the heater with water..........

I use the bulging box as an indicator to go to that part of the interview!
Check out my new preparedness guide: What To Do 'til The Cavalry Comes:
A Family Guide to Preparedness in 21st Century America AVAILABLE NOW at Barnes & Noble, http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 1192&itm=1

MCIera

Post by MCIera » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:40 am

If you're using the old heaters with the chemicals between the two pieces of cardboard, it is best to insure that the water has soaked the cardboard before putting the food pouch into the heater (not to worry, they're slow to activate and you should have time.)

With the new heaters (post '95) hold the food pouch and the heater element above the water line, add water to the water line, then push both to the bottom of the pouch and slosh it around enough to insure that water makes contact with the entire heating element. You'll know because the entire pouch element will be too hot to touch. Shove it back in the box or whatever you're using to contain the heat.

With the newer heaters, the pressure of the food pouch against the heater element is often enough to force the water to contact most of the heater element if the FRH is laid on it's side (i.e. against a rock or something), but giving it a slosh or two will insure saturation.