FRH salt trick.

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Re: FRH salt trick.

Post by mikeoverhere » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Speaking of insulation, I do note that Chinese ration mains come in their own FRH which are packed inside of a insulating foam bag. A mylar pouch sure would help our MRE's and it wouldn't take hardly any weight or room in the pouch. They could make it large enough to stick the bag in, and at the same time seal the FRH inside of it thus avoiding degradation of the FRH element itself, tear it open when you go to use it. I swear once they created FRH's, they stopped researching that technology. These days I almost always use salty water to activate my US FRH's to avoid disappointment. Thankfully they still include salt with the ration. Our soldiers apparently still not good enough for a pepper pack though LOL.

Thanks for the advice and demonstration, it sometimes surprises me how many people need to benefit from it.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:46 pm

mikeoverhere wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:30 pm
Our soldiers apparently still not good enough for a pepper pack though LOL.
Amen. Older IMP's had pepper, but again, someone decided that they didn't much care to provide it.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Cookoff013

Post by Cookoff013 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks for the input guys. Ive been eating mres lately and changing up how i use the FRH. First i have been doing the salt trick. I open the FRH and take out the heat element. Pour in about half the salt or atleast a good dose. I then add the water to above the line maybe 1/4 inch above , i roll the top and shake or massage the salt crystals in solution. I then line up the heat element with the entree, then just slide them in the frh pouch. I put it element down and massage the excessive water into the element.
I then sleeve it. It should take 20s to start.
I learned from experience, but i think by accident overfilling the water.

I think i might try and use the frh like that video. Heating 2 pouches. With the pouches outside. I think i might put the second food in, after the element is well and truly going at it. That might be the key.

Cook
"Yeah, I can eat that" - cookoff013 2018
ORP 1-to-20
MRE 1-2-7-8-17
RCIR 2-4-5

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:33 am

And don't forget to flip the pouches end over end to get uniform heating.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Cookoff013

Post by Cookoff013 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 am

RockyRaab wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:33 am
And don't forget to flip the pouches end over end to get uniform heating.
Will do. Would be easy with the pouches on the outside of the frh bag
"Yeah, I can eat that" - cookoff013 2018
ORP 1-to-20
MRE 1-2-7-8-17
RCIR 2-4-5

RGoodellSr
eBay name: Goodell911

Post by RGoodellSr » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:01 pm

I'm a big believer of using salt water with US FRH's, although it sometimes saddens me that I have little or no salt left over for flavor enhancement. I also like Gundog's use of the main ration bag instead of the FRH bag for multiple items, but I do find it awkward to seal the bag well enough without clothes pins or some other type of clips.

I find that, as I become more experienced and the 'magic' of the FRH has begun to wear off, I tend to abandon the ration heater any time I have access to boiling water anyway. It's kind of nice to have those spare FRH's in reserve as a extra bonus.
Please visit Rick & Aedyn on YouTube: MRE Goodell

housil

Post by housil » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:07 am

I kept all unused FRH for "years" just to figure out, after "years" even the salt trick does not work anymore.

RGoodellSr
eBay name: Goodell911

Post by RGoodellSr » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:47 pm

housil wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:07 am
I kept all unused FRH for "years" just to figure out, after "years" even the salt trick does not work anymore.
So true, especially with the US heating elements
Please visit Rick & Aedyn on YouTube: MRE Goodell