Australian Hexamine cooker / stove pictures

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Mattm199

Australian Hexamine cooker / stove pictures

Post by Mattm199 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:07 pm

Just cleaning out the end of an old box, that I had been sent some 2003/4 dates CR1M packs a few years back
The seller included 3 Hexamine cookers, (I presume issue), and I thought I'd take some pics and share.
Interesting that the fuel is from ADI Mulwala, usually known as a munitions / propellant plant.
This was at a time when the company was being operated in a joint venture with Thales and Transfield, now it is all owned by Thales.
Attachments
RLHnyNBLQuqR02tJWS9gvw.jpg
uSAnNDKzQRqP6SXpp6oy%Q.jpg
xnVU9Mb+QfaPAfgX+NIEwg.jpg
mUdn00w8SSappvGh5zUvYw.jpg
4n3JcGZfQR2Xl2obRXyZ1w.jpg
IMG_1149.JPG

OzBloke

Re: Australian Hexamine cooker / stove pictures

Post by OzBloke » Mon May 20, 2019 3:16 am

G'Day Matt.

Hexamine fuel tabs have some of the same basic ingredients as some explosives - hence the munitions factory source.

It's a long time since I used a hexie stove ('74'-'83) but I'm told the Vietnam era diggers ditched the folding metal stove, and instead used an empty cheese can from the rations (suitably modified with a church key type can opener) as the lighted fuel holder/container.

[Edit to add] - From wikipedia; "Hexamethylenetetramine is the base component to produce RDX and, consequently, C-4[4] as well as Octogen, hexamine dinitrate, hexamine diperchlorate and HMTD".

(G'On the Blues!).

Athena

Re: Australian Hexamine cooker / stove pictures

Post by Athena » Fri May 24, 2019 4:01 am

Hiya Matt,

Glad to find some fellow Aussies on here! I was only in for a short time around 2011-2012, but we still used those hexamine tablets with our issued steel cup canteens. They were given to us separately. Eventually our section scrounged around the base and found a stock of those cookers you have pictured there, much better in my opinion. Pretty sure I got mine somewhere still. Also, the hexamine packaging is still a very familiar white box - not much has changed in their shape.

Cheers