Sri Lanka combat ration

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
donaldjcheek

Sri Lanka combat ration

Post by donaldjcheek » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Sri Lanka Army 24-hour ration pack

Originally Sri Lanka used imported combat rations, but decided to field their own in early 2001. The result was the SLA 24-hour ration pack, also known as the "jungle pack." It is intended to be used in operational areas where facilities for cooking and storing food are restricted, and provides enough food and sundry items to sustain one soldier for 24 hours. Rations are usually issued daily, but several days' worth of ration packs may be issued as the need arises.

All meals are based on MRE-type entrees that do not require cooking or other preparation. Meal components are packaged in sealed plastic bags or cans, which in turn are packed in lightweight cardboard cartons. All components are produced and assembled in Sri Lanka. Pre-cooked rice is included as part of every meal.

Special Forces troop operating forward of the defense line may also use an imported item known as the SF-9. The SF-9, or lightweight survival ration pack, is issued in a compact carton containing several slabs of food concentrate. Each slab provides sufficient nourishment for one day, so (theoretically) each carton can keep a soldier going for about a week. From photos I've seen, these resemble European or American survival rations such as MainStay or Datrex.

Typical contents of the jungle pack:
-precooked rice -cream crackers -instant milk powder
-chicken curry w/potatoes -cheese -orange drink powder
-vegetable curry -soup cubes -dates

Also included is a sundry pack containing tea bags, sugar, salt, glucose tablets, Jeevani (anti-stress & anti-fatigue herbal restorative), matches, recloseable polyethylene bags (ziplock bags), and toilet paper.
"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry."

donaldjcheek

picture of SLA ration pack

Post by donaldjcheek » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:11 pm

Sorry, all.

Meant to post this picture with the article.
Attachments
SLA 24-hr.jpg
"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry."

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:04 pm

Man.. a whole roll of toilet paper, fear the side effects of eating one of those rats.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:44 am

Great post, donaldjcheek - thanks for sharing. I especially like the giant roll of toilet paper (for 24 hours! :-)) and the box of Ensure bars.

donaldjcheek

Re: Sri Lanka combat ration

Post by donaldjcheek » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 pm

As of 18 January 2019, the Sri Lanka Army is producing its own version of the MRE, to replace the standard "jungle pack" developed during the Sri Lanka Civil War (1983-2009), in turn replaced by imported Malayan combat rations. The new ration pack was a joint development of the 3rd Special Forces, the Research Analysis Projection & Development Branch, Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, and the Directorate of Agriculture and Livestock.

The new ration comes in three different meal packs - breakfast (220 g), lunch (400 g) and dinner (400 g). The breakfast pack contains biscuits (hard crackers to Americans), processed cheese, dried fruit or dates, tea and sugar. The lunch & dinner packs contain pre-cooked rice; tempered chickpeas; peanuts; fish, soy protein or chicken (usually as a curry, with vegetables); instant orange drink or tea; sugar; salt; instant milk powder; and matches.

Each ration is sterilized and vacuum packed, requiring no further preparation other than the addition of water for the beverages. The new production facility is expected to produce 600-900 ration packs per day and save Sri Lanka about 60% of current ration costs.
Attachments
Sri Lanka MRE II.jpg
Sri Lanka MRE I.jpg

housil

Re: Sri Lanka combat ration

Post by housil » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:05 am

Thx to keep that updated.