Philippine Army MREs

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
kyuzoaoi

Philippine Army MREs

Post by kyuzoaoi » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:59 pm

I found this on a Facebook page:

http://dwdd.com.ph/2016/10/11/mre-soldi ... perations/

In the past, the Philippines did have combat rations but the soldiers were critical of the taste and was abandoned.

I checked the pictures and many thought vacuum pack would be better but then they have to go on the cheap.

laughing_man

Re: Philippine Army MREs

Post by laughing_man » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:36 am

Thank you for the great information :!:
I would like to eat this ration very much. :D

kyuzoaoi

Post by kyuzoaoi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Update: the new Philippine rations are spotted. They are being readied in the fighting in Mindanao.

Seen from a Facebook post in an unofficial Filipino military Facebook page:

With credit to VL Beltran, Andrew Mac for the pictures.

A rear view of a ration, with a 2018 expiry date.

They seem to be a mix of commercially-produced and government-produced rations.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:04 am

kyuzoaoi - Thank you for the share... as I'm part Filipino, find this news rather interesting... looking forward to those MRE with baluts (google "baluts" hint: keep a barf bag handy), lumpias and pancit.

mahalo

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks for the info & pictures!

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:30 pm

Ya'll should get in touch with Alduin....he lives just down the road from am Army base. Alohakid: You love my local Asian market, its essentially all Filipino stuff including balut. She makes fresh lumpia too but its too "cabagy" for my tastes (prefer more carrot and meat) not to mention the cabbage turns my back end into a toxic, eye tearing, gas fog.

Cheers!

kyuzoaoi

Post by kyuzoaoi » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:53 pm

alohakid wrote:kyuzoaoi - Thank you for the share... as I'm part Filipino, find this news rather interesting... looking forward to those MRE with baluts (google "baluts" hint: keep a barf bag handy), lumpias and pancit.

mahalo
Thank you too! I may try to know the entree in the future.

alohakid

Post by alohakid » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:00 pm

gundog4314 wrote:Ya'll should get in touch with Alduin....he lives just down the road from am Army base. Alohakid: You love my local Asian market, its essentially all Filipino stuff including balut. She makes fresh lumpia too but its too "cabagy" for my tastes (prefer more carrot and meat) not to mention the cabbage turns my back end into a toxic, eye tearing, gas fog.

Cheers!
gundog4314 - At one point, prior to base closing initiative, Jacksonville had three major naval bases which meant many Filipino squids & families and all sorts of Filipino shops... like you, don't care much for store bought lumpias (too much lettuce,cabbage, snow peas and some times banana)... we've been making our own for years - fat, ground beef or pork, carrots and crab meat... I know you'd approve... when my dad was still with us, he added his super duper secret ingredient to his lumpias - orangie colored eggs from female crabs - food of the gawds!... you could eat 'em all day with NO gas fog!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mahalo

PS and no, never tried baluts... even when living in the Philippines ('69-'71).

NuWorldMann

Post by NuWorldMann » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:58 am

I lived in Mindanao during my senior year in high school as a Rotary exchange student (86-87). All high school students had to undergo Citizens Army Training or CAT..kinda like an ROTC program. They do have a pretty sizeable army, with all branches operating under a unified AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) I believe. All the police are federal also.

Doesn't surprise me that their MREs resemble US MREs..when I was living there, the Philippines armed forces took on the style/look of American forces (they were an American commonwealth, much like Puerto Rico and their former military chief of staff Fidel Ramos is a West Point graduate).

They definitely didn't have a standardized military ration (one of my host families was friends with an army colonel and we used to go out on weekends and target practice, drink beer and eat). Their field chow consisted of rice and dried/salted fish.

alohakid

Post by alohakid » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:58 pm

NuWorldMann wrote:I lived in Mindanao during my senior year in high school as a Rotary exchange student (86-87). All high school students had to undergo Citizens Army Training or CAT..kinda like an ROTC program. They do have a pretty sizeable army, with all branches operating under a unified AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) I believe. All the police are federal also.

Doesn't surprise me that their MREs resemble US MREs..when I was living there, the Philippines armed forces took on the style/look of American forces (they were an American commonwealth, much like Puerto Rico and their former military chief of staff Fidel Ramos is a West Point graduate).

They definitely didn't have a standardized military ration (one of my host families was friends with an army colonel and we used to go out on weekends and target practice, drink beer and eat). Their field chow consisted of rice and dried/salted fish.
NuWorldMann - What was your school name? San Miguel beer, yes?

mahalo