German Rations

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:25 pm

I think Zeiti is our resident German rations expert. And of course there's Mirage...our resident Canadian "German rations expert". Maybe we can get one of them to try it for us.

Or even better....ThomasFromGermany - he's the one that actually tried that Russian ration and wrote the review for us. If anyone would try it, I'm sure he would! :-)

Zeiti

Post by Zeiti » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:32 am

Maybe we can get one of them to try it for us.

Now way, Kman, I am not daring enough to try a 1988 pre end of cold war german EPA.
The shelf life is - as far as I recall 10 years -
In our case, we got fed the 1983 EPAS fed in the cantina in 1993, the ones who were sorted out due to the expired date of use :twisted:

A source for "more or less fresh" EPAS ( for 8,90 EUROS !!!!!!!!!!!) is
www.ranger-shop.de
Go to Camping, subsection Verpflegung

If you have probs navigating, conact me !
Klagt nicht, kämpft !

aquarius

Post by aquarius » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:13 pm

Last year I opened a 1986 dated German ration. There was no bulging of the tinfoil 'cans'. Of course I tasted one or two spoonfulls of the main meal. YAK! My stomach began bulging, so I had to spit out the food that was still in my mouth. Conclusion: It was non-edible. (I did not get ill.)
The lemonade powder, the chocolate bar and other items were also bad. Only matches and the toilet paper were still okay! (Yep, I ignited and burned the paper with the matches. LOL)

I wonder why does anybody wants to have German rations?? These rations are just about as boring as Dutch rations. The rations are not bad, but they do lack any fantasy or nifty items.

BTW: I did not tell my wife about it. As you all probably know by now, she does not understand our hobby. But since she is never going to visit this website I am pretty sure I can release my revalations wyhout doing any harm to our relationship. Hahaha!
"if you don't read the newspaper, you are uniformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed". (Mark Twain)

ThomasFromGermany

Post by ThomasFromGermany » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:00 pm

kman wrote:Or even better....ThomasFromGermany - he's the one that actually tried that Russian ration and wrote the review for us. If anyone would try it, I'm sure he would! :-)
This Ration is a Fake
A few Weeks ago i got some Email´s with Questions about them
(I think it was a Member of the MreInfo.comForum ?)

I ask in a german Army Forum for these Rations and a german Soldier from the supplies-Troops take a look in the Computer for the Number of this Ration (Nato Code)
You can see the Number on the Rations in the Ebay Auction

The Number doesn't exist
It only looks like a Nato Code,but there are some failures in there,first the Code for an german Item

No,i don´t buy one of them
I´m saving my Money for a german\english Translator ;-)

doggar

german rations

Post by doggar » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:53 am

I live in Japan now, and I have sold a few boxes of german rations to some military buffs here. They have tasting parties here, and German ones are the most popular ones, tastewise. If you can get new ones, I'm sure you wont be disappointed by the taste. Tins of potted meat go well with the crackers, and if you have a taste for the dark bread, it is definitely one of the most nutritious items in any MRE from any country-- instead of processed flour our US rations have, its got lots of fiber which helps the food go down. Acquired taste, perhaps.

Finarvas

Post by Finarvas » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:19 pm

Anyone got a source the, ranger-shop has no more in stock :(
Vivere est militare

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:43 pm

I was reading Zeitis' post (4th) on this topic. I found that to be true in'86-'88 while stationed at the Planet Gerp. There were always gasthauses, etc, to get good food, even in the more remote towns out in the countryside. For a few marks, some German kid would bring you just about anything you wanted. I remember my German speaking TC paying a kid 10 marks, and a few minutes later, the kid came back with this huge jar of blutwurst and a 2 big loafs of some kind of dark rye bread. Make no mistake. Blutwurst is not shaped like a hotdog. Most of the guys could'nt handle it, but I did. I had to think about it awhile, and held my nose on the first bite. Not that bad. Especially since MRE's got really monotonous on 2 week long FTX's. :P

DemolitionMan

Post by DemolitionMan » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:17 am

Hi all,

back in my time in the bundeswehr 2002 i made my first contact with EPA. I found them not too bad and got some on ebay, old and new type. A year ago I thought it would be fun to compare hamburgers from 1991 to some of 1999...and I was totally surprised to find that they both tasted very well!
"Let others rise to take our place until the earth is free!"
-Les Misérables-

jubifahrer

Post by jubifahrer » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:33 am

aquarius wrote:Does anyone know something about the new generation of German rations??
They seem to be MRE like, with plastic packaging instead of tin foil cans.
One of the entrees is Sauerkraut with Frankfurters.
If you mean this one

http://cgi.ebay.de/Neue-Generation-EPA- ... dZViewItem

dont by thema, they are a fake, nevertheless people by them very expensive.

rudi

Kreddi

Post by Kreddi » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:55 am

I heard that EPAs are good for 10 years, but some people also say they will last 20 years.
I read a funny story about this in the newspaper:
Last year, in a Bundeswehr Storage, in some dark corner they found an old crate with canned bread from the wehrmacht. They opened a can and a brave soldier ate tried it, the 60 year old bread was still good... :shock: