Scho-ka-kola!

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Richard w.

Scho-ka-kola!

Post by Richard w. » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:02 pm

This marvelous German chocolate was a key component of many German rations during WWII and is still made today in Berlin. I've found it difficult to find here in the US and the import food vendors who do have it charge a lot for it.

I recently discovered that "Landser Outfitters" in California has it for a reasonable price. They sell gear and uniforms to military reenactors. They use the seller name "landser_company" on eBay and charge $5.99 per 100 gram tin plus a couple bucks for 1st Class Mail shipping. I received my order in a couple days and the chocolate was fresh and perfect.

This stuff is rocket fuel! For those who aren't familiar with it, it has a huge caffeine boost in it. Don't let the kids have any near bedtime. :D

housil

Re: Scho-ka-kola!

Post by housil » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Nice you like it and found a place to buy it.
It´s heritage of WW2 you still get at every gas station over here :mrgreen:

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Anywhere that sells it in the UK?

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:54 pm

alcockell wrote:Anywhere that sells it in the UK?
Better make a trade with our german members or with Cracker. I'm sure they will be more than willing to help you. I have four empty cansof Scho-ka-kola, Cracker sent me and they was amazing helping me at college exams.
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Umm - to the German members here - how much does Scho-ka-kola cost, and can it be shipped to the UK? Cos if it can, I'll gladly set up a BACS payment and reimburse if someone over there could buy me a can or two to try,,

Haven't got anything else I can really trade with.... and it's a shame their website doesn't have an English option...

Garron
eBay name: Bigg1989

Post by Garron » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 pm

I just gave my last tin to a friend, if you had said earlier I'd have sent it to you. I picked up a few when I was in Germany in October, I'm not going over till later this year I think. I normally pick up a few when I am over roughly once a year. I've not seen it outside of Germany. I looked in a few supermarkets in Vienna and in France and Belgium.

Just checked my can, I've only got 4 peices left, if you want it to try you can, Only opened the tin about 2 weeks ago. its a very dark chocolate with a coffee taste, quite a required taste.

Gaz

Stef

Post by Stef » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Garron wrote: I've not seen it outside of Germany. I looked in a few supermarkets in Vienna and in France and Belgium.
It's very rare here, strangely enough as it's only available every time we are defeated :mrgreen:
In principio erat spamum

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:30 am

Garron wrote:I just gave my last tin to a friend, if you had said earlier I'd have sent it to you. I picked up a few when I was in Germany in October, I'm not going over till later this year I think. I normally pick up a few when I am over roughly once a year. I've not seen it outside of Germany. I looked in a few supermarkets in Vienna and in France and Belgium.

Just checked my can, I've only got 4 peices left, if you want it to try you can, Only opened the tin about 2 weeks ago. its a very dark chocolate with a coffee taste, quite a required taste.

Gaz
ooh! Next time you're over, could I put in for 4? I'm sure it'll keep..

Tell you what - once you've done the run, PM me with your sortcode and account number; I'll then PM you with my address and push the cash your way...

mmmm - high-caffeine chocolate...

Bear_Bottom

Post by Bear_Bottom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:00 am

You could always try these guys in good old London, they seem to sell it in Borough Market or over the net. Just type scho ka kola in the search field.

https://www.germandeli.co.uk

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:32 am

Gave them a call - would have to bung in a pretty big order to make the 7 quid delivery charge worthwhile...

Maybe if I fancied going for a few German lunches... mixed it up a bit... Herringsalat and Biscuits Brown at the desk a few times?