Imp's

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
dirtbag

Imp's

Post by dirtbag » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:17 am

Just bought three Breakfast Imps off ebay,and I'm confused. (I'm normally confused,but this is different!) The foreign ration page describes them as '24 hour' rations,but there doesn't seem to be any more stuff than a mre. wtf?? I've seen the brit 24 hr pack,it has much more in it.Somewhat disapointed,I guess. :?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:42 am

Hi dirtbag. Well I'll be darned...I can see how you got that idea from the IMP page on the website. It doesn't say "24 Hour" anywhere on the page, but it does say this:
An IMP is one day's food — breakfast, lunch and dinner — for one person.
I guess that's a little vague. It's not that a single IMP is one day's food - but three IMPs together make up one day's food. Each IMP makes up one meal. I'll go in there right away and try to clear up that language for you.

Sorry about the confusion. I'd equate the IMP more with the MRE than a British ration.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:53 am

Ok, the IMP page is all corrected:

http://www.mreinfo.com/imps.html

dirtbag

Nasty

Post by dirtbag » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:51 pm

Great! Just tried the Breakfast "Hash browns and sausage.UGH! Brown lumps of "stuff" mixed in with yellow lumps.One of the canadian army forums was bragging that their army is the best fed army in the world!They also brag their army is formidable! Lies,Lies,Lies!
:wink:
I pity the delusional s*b's :P

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:06 pm

I think the IMPs are about on par with the MREs - some menus I like and some I'm not too fond of. Personally, I'd go for an MRE over an IMP almost any day but that might be because MREs are geared more towards American stomachs. But if I had to eat MREs for any length of time, I would welcome the occasional IMP to add a little change to the diet.

Halger280HVMag

Post by Halger280HVMag » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Individual Meal Pack...The name helps identify the contents.... :wink:

The brown lumps are wiener chunks and the yellow lumps are potato pieces....Hope that helps.... :)

It's been more than 40 years since I was a Soldier....Soldiers then always bragged up their own side/equipment, I don't imagine that Soldiers have changed much since then......And that's not a word of a lie..... 8)

The breakfast/lunch IMP's are not my own favorites....Particularly the various incarnation of "omelette" known by Canadian troopies as "Lung in a Bag"....I prefer the supper IMP's.....But when you're cold, wet, and hungry in the bottom of a muddy hole....They taste mighty fine...ALL of them.... :D

I believe that the trading ratio amongst the troops in the field (Afghanistan) for rations favors the French RCIR, however the IMP is not far behind..... :P

My choices are usually dictated by availability...MRE's are not usually available in Canada in any quantity...IMP's and British 24 Hr. packs are more plentiful and AFFORDABLE.... :(

Next time, try for one of the supper entrees....I hope that you are not too disapointed.... :o

Y'all have a Healthy and Prosperous New Year....

dermeister025

Post by dermeister025 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:13 pm

What do you mean IMP's and British ratpacks are more plentiful? I've been having a hell of a time finding either... got a line on any good sources? MRE's of course aren't as easy to get here as in the states - so many ebay sellers don't want to ship to Canada :x but i've still got a couple cases sittin here. Rations always seem to get mixed reactions - I brought a few in my pack to a search the other day - about half the people slowly backed away and the other half wanted to know where to get some!
- Support Search & Rescue - Get Lost!! ;)

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:04 am

All the imp,s are on ebay,search for "mre mres imp". The imps are coming from canada. The brit ratpacks are available (cheap) on ebay.uk but the shipping is a killer!. They also have MUCH more in them. 2 entree's,several soups,6-8 hot/cold drinks,lots of snacks etc.Our mre manufacturers could do this easily.
I especially liked all of the crackers (4-6 packets),with lots of spreads and hot soup hits the spot!
I think we ought to go back to an issue stove for more hot items in the field.The FRH is novel but extreemly limited.

Halger280HVMag

Post by Halger280HVMag » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:58 pm

dermeister025

It's all relative.....I have ZERO MRE's...By comparison, my meager supply of IMP's and British 24Hr. packs SEEMS plentiful.... :D

The cost of shipping from the USA for such relatively heavy items, is a bit high.... :cry:

I have just purchased and am waiting for, 2 cases of 10=20 "Supper" IMP's....Through Ebay and from an seller located in Eastern Canada...Cost for 2 cases including shipping via Greyhound Bus Freight was about $105.00 USD. ....not too bad at about $5.00 USD per IMP delivered....

2 cases of 10=20 British 24Hr. packs cost me about $210.00 USD delivered....got those through a GunBoard that I frequent....They were also from Eastern Canada....Good deal at this price.... :D
Jack

Keep yer powder dry Eh!
73 de VE7DT

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:30 pm

Which gunboard was that? I'm always interested in new sources for IMPs and British rations. In fact, the last I looked, my 2 or 3 cases of IMPs were getting a little old...might have to do some quality checking soon.