website to Norwegian field rations

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
aquarius

website to Norwegian field rations

Post by aquarius » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:04 am

Check this one out!

http://www.drytech.no/

In the upper left corner of the web page is a small English flag. Be sure to choose it (unless you can read Norwegian language).

I have been told by a Dutch soldier that these rations are very tasteful. I guess the Nors have discovered the secret formula on how-to-make-freeze-dried-food-taste-good.
Luckily he sold me a handful of the freeze dried meals, so in near future I will test one.
I also obtained the complete field ration. It looks okay, with lots of nice goodies and weighs 1064 grams.
"if you don't read the newspaper, you are uniformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed". (Mark Twain)

aquarius

Post by aquarius » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:45 am

How nice it is to reply on your own topic...

Well, a few minutes ago I got awake just to see... there already was a topic on this item!
Pffff...
Hope you will forgive me (and won't be jealous on me, because I bought 2 complete rations plus 7 loose meals for only 40 euro...)
"if you don't read the newspaper, you are uniformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed". (Mark Twain)

aquarius

Post by aquarius » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:18 am

Update to Norwegian field ration: Consumer Test.

Up here in the Netherlands we have a little storm, rain and snow at the moment, so I thought it was a good idea to taste a meal from the Norwegian field ration. (There's no real connection between weather and eating rations...)
Some people like backpacking, but I don't. For that reason I ate my field rations in front of the tv. Eating rations the armchair-commado style!

Well, yesterday evening I tried the freeze dried Pasta in Tomato Sauce. It tasted okay in front of the tv, but probably it would have tasted like heaven when eaten far beyond the Polar Circle. Anyway, the familiar taste of cardboard was also present with this ration, so the Nors haven't find the secret formula yet.
Luckily I had a package of MRE Frankfurters plus a Picante Sauce at hand. Mixed with the freeze dried Pasta it gives the average tv-junk a decent, well-tasting meal.

Summary:
- the freeze dried meal was ready in 5 minutes. Real fast.
- weight when water added: 330 grams.
- not suited as a full meal (the Norwegians use this one as Lunch).
- taste is a little bland. Add some salt, tomato or picante sauce!
- no gastric acids building up!
- Good quality stuff.