International rations talk here!

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:59 pm

I think Zeiti was just passing along one of those MRE jokes. You know - how they make fun of them by calling them "Meals, Rejected by Everyone". Or like Zeiti said...three lies in one.

One of my favorites is "Meals, Refusing to Exit". :-)

paul heath

Post by paul heath » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:55 pm

KMAN,

I do not know if you know this but Natick actually designed the MREs to clog up the plumbing. Seems they do not want our troops spending too much time in the loo.

I heard a rumor that the gum has a laxative.

Paul Heath

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:31 pm

Well, my MREs are full of fiber, because they go right through me and keep me nice and cleaned out. No clogging MREs that I have ever gotten a hold of.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:35 am

Paul, yes, I've heard that about MREs. Personally, I think that used to be true in the past but might not be completely the case anymore. Let me tell you a little story to explain why I think this way...

A couple of years ago, I was sick. It was an intestinal bug - you get the picture. I tried all manner of pepto-bismo, etc. to fix it but nothing seemed to work. Finally, in desperation, I recalled that people said the older MREs would stop you right up. So I dug into my collection and pulled out a Corned Beef Hash MRE from 1992 and ate it. And sure enough...that did the trick!

Since then, I've eaten a ton of 2000+ MREs and haven't had any of those problems. So I'm thinking maybe it was some ingredient they used back them or some combination of ingredients that led to this "side effect" - but that might not be the case now.

That's just my personal experience, of course.

DangerousDave

British 24HR ratpacks.

Post by DangerousDave » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:47 pm

Theres this outfit in Britain named surplusandoutdoors.com, that sells them, but I don't know if they will ship them to USA. They shipped me some about 2001, but about a year later, they would not ship them to USA, because of the matches or something. Needles to say, very expensive shipping costs to US. :?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:07 am

Ain't that the truth, DangerousDave! The one British ration I picked up off of ebay cost me so much money for shipping that I couldn't believe I paid for it. I don't even want to try to recall the exact cost...I just remember thinking that for the price of the ration plus shipping, I could have probably bought a case of MREs. :-(

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:08 am

Disappointed!!!

Yesterday i went down to Beach Road Market, the only known military surplus market there is in Singapore.

I bought some equipment like rank tabs, webbing pouches for my coming reservist training and as promised earlier to Mirage i wanna find some combat rations for him but to no avail. Really confirmed that combat rations aren't on sale here.

Currently i only have one packet of hardtack biscuits and one pasta entree..... :cry:

aquarius

Post by aquarius » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:24 pm

For dessert I just ate a British ration "Treackle Pudding".

The item is packed in the standard British foil bag. It consists of a cake covered with sirup. When cold you can see white drops of pure fat floating in the sirup, so this food should be eaten!warm/hot!

Strange thing do happen with this stuff.
1. When hot it will not cool down. It stays warm almost forever.
2. After this food is in your stomach, the weight seems to have been tripled. The piece of cake feels like a block of concrete! Still it tastes okay.

Have fun!
"if you don't read the newspaper, you are uniformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed". (Mark Twain)

DangerousDave

British 10 Man ration

Post by DangerousDave » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:32 pm

I was just checking out surplusandoutdoors. The were advertising 10 Man kits for 70 pounds. Click army surplus, then army misc. Anyone with a bunch of money burning a hole in there pocket, might be interested. I'd love to try that tinned sausage in lard with some kibbled onions! Sounds tasty. :lol:

DangerousDave

Interesting link

Post by DangerousDave » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:35 pm

http:www.readymealsinfo.com/articles/expedition.htm Hey Kman, I figure you already know about Wayfayrer of England. Looks like they do the main meals for the British 24HR packs. They have a commercial line, like the Canadians/FreddyChef.