Wierd modern French ration. How to eat?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Robin heum

Wierd modern French ration. How to eat?

Post by Robin heum » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Hello guys so i have gotten like 7-8 of these wierd French rations.
Now these are somewhat unknown to me. I think they are prototypes that are meant for French forces in Africa.

Now how am I supposed to eat this thing? The mains are these wierd liquid feeling packs just labeled Duck, Fish etc. Am I supposed to heat them? Or eat/drink cold? Nothing is really labeled also, just short names like Fruit, wrap, chocolate or figs.
Any info would be helpful.

I could make a picture review of this if there is any interest:)

Here are some photos of the ration and components.
IMG_20211130_210419398.jpg
IMG_20211130_210449230.jpg

Smitty

Re: Wierd modern French ration. How to eat?

Post by Smitty » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:17 pm

There was an article in 2017 about France developing a special assualt style ration modelled after the US FSR.

There are also hits for the RFC on French government websites, but no modern photos.

Now you have me curious to potentially try a "duck" puree from a squeeze pack haha.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:35 pm

Ooh "Fish Filling" looks yummy... lol.

First time I have seen this ration before! Does indeed look similar to the FSR as it includes a tomato and cheese wrap and a beef sandwich, most items seem packed for quick consumption!

I am betting everything can be eaten cold, no heating required.

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:37 am

boy, that sure is neat. I would love to see a review. Hopefully some will pop up for sale soon!
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:49 am

Very cool. French Forces in Africa makes sense - all quick & easy to eat foods with pretty high moisture content. They're heavy..! Bulky too.

France has RCIR, RIL, and now RFC ( Special Combat Ration) for their individual 24hr rats... this thing really is overweight though. I suppose it doesn't matter to guys if they're mobile, but if on foot? 2 days of food would be cumbersome.

Robin heum

Post by Robin heum » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:28 am

Ok so i might try some of this cold. And if its horrible i will heat it up and try it like that.
From what the guy i got them from told me was this wasnt really liked by troops and they didnt adopt it as they preffered the regular Rcir.
So i dont think it will be too great. No real drink mixes either and the lack of labels makes it hard to know how i will go about eating it.
Like what is breakfeast, Lunch and dinner here?

Does have the look of a Fsr but the US one is superior in my opinion. Weighs less and has more items in it, and takes less space.
They might have made a new variant though but i dont know alot about French rations.
Duck, Fish and chicken purre doesnt sound that good to me. Is also and entire bag of Goat cheese in there.

Might try eating it during the weekend then.
Now im a really picky eater so lets see how that goes for me :shock:

Robin heum

Post by Robin heum » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:12 pm

Just got them all now:)
So I have 7 unopened of these now.
All are menu 4 and 5 though.
IMG_20211201_190914395.jpg

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:55 am

That goat cheese sounds absolutely horrible too.. I bet it has a very short life span if exposed to high heat.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:37 pm

cavguy wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:55 am
That goat cheese sounds absolutely horrible too.. I bet it has a very short life span if exposed to high heat.
Especially when it's mixed with spinach before exposing it to heat...and then served alongside some french bread....

Seriously though, I love goat cheese. I'm sure this'll be a huge disappointment haha.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/