Where to start?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
JohnBigsby

Where to start?

Post by JohnBigsby » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Hello,

I came across Steve's YouTube channel by chance and got hooked watching. I grew up with US MREs, we took them on camping trips and boy scout hikes and etc. Living next to an Army base, they were always readily available. My wife and I decided that it would be fun to kind of do what Steve does, sample rations from other countries together, although we have no interest in the "vintage" stuff :shock: nor collecting.

I've found from shopping around Amazon, ebay, and others that it's not a cheap thing to do. I'd appreciate any insight or tips that people might have to help us pursue this. We currently have an RCIR and a Ukrainian ration on the way to try, they should be here by the end of the month.

Thanks!

Smitty

Re: Where to start?

Post by Smitty » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:09 pm

It won't be cheap, but it looks like you're working at it. eBay has some good deals, but always make sure you buy from reputable sellers. Be aware that buying rations from outside the US is not a guarantee that you will get them. If inspected by customs, the meat is typically removed. It's all part of this hobby, possibly losing your purchase during import, and if that's not something you can put up with....you can make sure to buy only vegetarian rations for import or order from inside the US only.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

JohnBigsby

Post by JohnBigsby » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Smitty wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:09 pm
It won't be cheap, but it looks like you're working at it. eBay has some good deals, but always make sure you buy from reputable sellers. Be aware that buying rations from outside the US is not a guarantee that you will get them. If inspected by customs, the meat is typically removed. It's all part of this hobby, possibly losing your purchase during import, and if that's not something you can put up with....you can make sure to buy only vegetarian rations for import or order from inside the US only.
Thanks, I hadn't thought about what customs might seize. How does Steve get all the overseas rations without that problem? The two we have coming now are coming from Ukraine, so fingers crossed. I'm extremely close to the CA border (I can see Ontario from my house lol) so I'm interested in trying some IMPs as well.

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:18 am

Customs is definitely part of the risk and most people here have had items confiscated atleast once. I don't blame them as they are just doing their jobs, but it can get frustrating.

The prices have gone crazy recently and If you are looking for less expensive rations, check out Lithuanian. They are all over eBay and fairly inexpensive. The are many many variations of Russian rations that are affordable too.

You are best off by buying items from people here. Check the buy/trade feedback posts for recommendations.

JohnBigsby

Post by JohnBigsby » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:35 am

ViperGTS wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:18 am
Customs is definitely part of the risk and most people here have had items confiscated atleast once. I don't blame them as they are just doing their jobs, but it can get frustrating.

The prices have gone crazy recently and If you are looking for less expensive rations, check out Lithuanian. They are all over eBay and fairly inexpensive. The are many many variations of Russian rations that are affordable too.

You are best off by buying items from people here. Check the buy/trade feedback posts for recommendations.
Thanks. So far, I've got Chinese, Lithuanian, Latvian, Ukranian, and a French RCIR on the way in different stages of travel. We're definitely excited to try them. I'm trying to get my hands on some of the different Russian versions too, but have to remember to pace myself, as you're spot on about prices being up there.

I check the forum daily, however the B/S/T forum seems a bit quiet lately.

housil

Post by housil » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:45 am

JohnBigsby wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:28 pm
Thanks, I hadn't thought about what customs might seize. How does Steve get all the overseas rations without that problem?
Every body has that problem, so does Steve.