French Ration RCIR Notes

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Sernaker

French Ration RCIR Notes

Post by Sernaker » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:32 pm

The French ration came with an adorable box of wooden safety matches, but the little definitely-not-flameless fuel tablet stove was hard to light with the matches (I wound up using a Bic Multipurpose long lighter). Little handle to hold food can over stove was oK.
Food wasn't bad. But neither is the food in regular MRE's. French ration food was more different than better, like some tinned fish thing and something else I don't remember anymore. The snacks were a little better though, but seriously go to a store and buy some chocolate and snacks, way cheaper.
Shipper (that I'm not going to name but is one of the big MRE online sellers) blatantly broke customs laws. They labeled it "camping supplies" which wasn't a lie but there are special rules for importing food and it has to be labeled as that. I looked that part up. Also the matches or fuel stove might have been a hazmat and needed special labeling, or at least likely need extra documentation to import. USPS rules, for instance, only allow matches to be sent ground domestically.
And it took a really long time to happen, like "in stock" definitely didn't mean in stock in the US (where I live). I'm not even convinced it was in stock in the warehouse where it shipped from, since it took a while before the shipping portion of its journey started.
All that said, I don't regret the purchase. It was fun. And I used the leftover stove fuel with the stove to heat some water during a power outage. (The next day my neighbor loaned me a small -I guess propane- single burner stove with a fuel can attached, so I got enough boiling water for a hot breakfast of instant oatmeal and pourover coffee.)

Smitty

Re: French Ration RCIR Notes

Post by Smitty » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:18 pm

Regarding the fuel tab, they are difficult to light if you're trying to light it from the top or sides. The best way is to get the flame underneath it. I sometimes prop the tab up on a match or stick, have held it before (gotta be fast when you feel the heat, haha), and have lit it from below the stove where there is a vent hole in the base. A few more times and I guarantee you'll have it down fast.

Regarding "camping supplies" There are special rules to import food into the US, correct. No ration reseller will be able to do that. Several have tried but it's such an impossibility to get USDA inspection certifications of the meat at the source that it's just not going to happen. Heck, when an individual sends an international package to someone for trade or as a gift, they're subject to the same rules. Any mailing of rations, that contain meat, will be confiscated if inspected by customs. If the blatant use of "camping supplies" is an issue for you, I'm afraid there just isn't a way around this.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:04 pm

Quoting my RCIR box.
"ARMEE FRANCAISE REVENTE INTERDITE NO RESALE FRENCH ARMY"

Sooo you have no issue with it saying no resale on the front, but you have issue with importing matches and some cans?
If you're so against all this why buy it in the first place...
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Jim_M1988
eBay name: Jim_M1988

Post by Jim_M1988 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:30 am

Yeah, if that had been labelled honestly you'd never have received it.

housil

Post by housil » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:34 am

Sernaker wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:32 pm
The French ration came with an adorable box of wooden safety matches, but the little definitely-not-flameless fuel tablet stove was hard to light with the matches
ANY fuel tablets are hard to light with matches...
Sernaker wrote:
Shipper (that I'm not going to name but is one of the big MRE online sellers) blatantly broke customs laws. They labeled it "camping supplies" which wasn't a lie but there are special rules for importing food and it has to be labeled as that.
You are welcome to turn yourself in for "buying illegal imported food".

Nemesis01

Post by Nemesis01 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:37 am

Surely part of the novelty of trying international rations is seeing what other folks eat?
So you'd be disappointed if they weren't different!

bart

Post by bart » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 am

Sernaker wrote:
Shipper (that I'm not going to name but is one of the big MRE online sellers) blatantly broke customs laws. They labeled it "camping supplies" which wasn't a lie but there are special rules for importing food and it has to be labeled as that. I looked that part up. Also the matches or fuel stove might have been a hazmat and needed special labeling, or at least likely need extra documentation to import. USPS rules, for instance, only allow matches to be sent ground domestically.
Might as well throw money down the drain if you want the rations to be labelled as food for US bound shipments.