MREMountain and U.S. Customs Policy?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Woozer

MREMountain and U.S. Customs Policy?

Post by Woozer » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:29 am

Hey everyone.

For those who have used MREmountain, what are their policies in the event that items are confiscated/destroyed by Customs? Will they replace them or is it at the buyer's risk? The reason why I ask is that I've heard that they have replaced items (in the past), but I've read their store policies section and I'm not exactly clear on what they'll do nowadays.

I've been trying to get in contact with MREmountain with this question for weeks and I've yet to get a response from them.

Teddydogno1

Re: MREMountain and U.S. Customs Policy?

Post by Teddydogno1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:29 pm

Well Customs is still at it. I bought a Dutch 24-hr ration and a Norwegian Arctic ration last month. After quite a delay, I received it last week and it had been opened by customs. The Dutch ration appears to be unopened but hard to tell since it is a big zip-top bag. They did not put their "examined by the thieves in USC" tape on it. The Norwegian, though, was sliced open, rummaged thoroughly and the liver pate was removed. That's the only item missing, I think. They put their tape on the bag and there was a notice that "porcine products" are prohibited from import.

The shipping box had a piece of paper in it from the shipper reminding customs that their own rule do NOT PROHIBIT the types of items included due to being fully sealed and shelf stable. But Customs either didn't see this, or didn't care. They basically ruined a sealed, fresh $45 ration.

I did contact MREMountain about it and this is their reply (but I have not yet worked out with them what this means exactly here with the missing pate and damaged package):

Hi Teddydogno1, sorry to hear that they did that. They certainly do not know their own laws. They aren't allowed to do that. Their own USDA regulations in directive 9500.6 specifically allows meat entry for personal use in shipments less than 50 lbs.

A commercially cooked and sealed product is exempt from entry requirements.

9 cfr 94
All meat or other animal product from such regions, whether in personal-use amounts or commercial lots (except that which has been fully cooked by a commercial method in a container hermetically sealed promptly after filling but before such cooking and sealing produced a fully sterilized product which is shelf-stable without refrigeration) shall have been prepared only in an inspected establishment that is eligible to have its products imported into the United States under the Federal Meat Inspection Act (21 U.S.C. 601et seq.) and the regulations in § 327.2, chapter III of this title, issued thereunder, and shall be accompanied by a Department-approved meat inspection certificate prescribed in § 327.4 in chapter III of this title, or similar certificate approv…

Probably an officer who is new or was looking for drugs and thought they should take it. Our tax dollars at work! >< Frustrating.

I'm really sorry that happened. I can’t control a government worker that is not following their own regulations, but we are the good guys here.

I would be happy to offer you store credit for the value of the missing items.

Rob

texrdnec

Post by texrdnec » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:41 am

they did the same thing to me. stole my jerky, chicken soup (but left the chicken meatballs), chili and some other things from my dutch and i don't remember what from the norwegian

a different package ordered a week earlier arrived on the same day, dutch was complete and they stole my deer pate out of a frenchy

there's no consistency whatsoever, they're pretty much ration stealing jokes

i ordered 3 WWII powdered egg cans clearly marked PRODUCT OF USA before one finally got through to me... i can't even fathom the mental gymnastics involved to think you need to confiscate 75yr old eggs from coming into their own country of origin

Teddydogno1

Post by Teddydogno1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:58 am

To follow up on my post about the damaged ration...

Mremountain got back to me with a very fair store credit code. i have used it already on a freeze-dried Dutch ration. hope that one makes it through.

Rob