Why is scho-ka-kola so expensive?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Victor_88

Why is scho-ka-kola so expensive?

Post by Victor_88 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:37 am

Just really curious:

Why is this so goshdarned expensive? its like average of 20 - 30 usd per single container on ebay?

Who is actually sustaining these prices by buying them? Cant they buy direct from germany? :lol:

Smitty

Re: Why is scho-ka-kola so expensive?

Post by Smitty » Mon May 24, 2021 11:35 am

Wow hyped up I guess. I’ll buy locally for $5, and there are lots of online markets to purchase from. I just assume people don’t double check prices. Like Amazon. “$300 for a bag of dog food, well alright”

These are legit a cool ration connection to the past. The old German lady at Edelweiss in Calgary told me once “you know, we use to send these to our young men on the front”. The look of all those complexed emotions was a very intense and real experience.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Victor_88

Post by Victor_88 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:47 am

I can buy the "historical value" thing, but its so stupidly priced even in regions where the only ones who would have heard of it are germans or ration enthusiasts

It averages around 30 dollars where im at, and also 20 usd average on ebay. Is paying 20 American dollars so attractive for its history that people are paying so much?

Extreme case of the lols

saab b5

Post by saab b5 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:18 pm

I pay 3 dollar for them each! :D

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Tue May 25, 2021 12:58 pm

I bought a couple few cans for a backcountry trip. Direct from Europe. They were a little spendy tho nowhere near that much. Unfortunately all the lockdowns and closures precluded taking the trip.

Anyway they aren't particularly expensive if you can buy them at the checkout line at a gas station along the Autobahn or something like that. Shipping costs factor here. For all that, as a caffeine enthusiast (I like my coffee) I was a little bit underwhelmed by them. There are 16 pieces to a can, 8 of them are roughly equal to cup of joe. Don't misunderstand, they work, but they could be stronger and I wouldn't complain.

Where they are useful I think, would be on a long auto trip to reduce fatigue. They are kind of cool, and would also be a good thing to carry in a backpack. Also splendid gifts for visiting grandchildren (just prior to their return, don't tell mom and dad) along with a toy drum and a couple kittens. Thank me later.

The chocolate itself is reasonably excellent quality. It's kind of a novelty item, so don't pay too much.

Victor_88

Post by Victor_88 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:49 pm

Like i said, i can slightly understand a demand in the west, but down in asia no one is particularly crazy about this :D

Just scrolling through listings and wondering why the hell they were asking 200 bucks for schokakola, thought it was for a case

color me really surprised when it was for six cans :roll:

Tedster

scho-ka-kola

Post by Tedster » Wed May 26, 2021 7:30 pm

Asking ain't gettin'.

There are all kinds of things on eBay that are priced into the stratosphere, hundreds or thousands, 10 times or more the going rate, etc. I've never heard a reasonable explanation. It costs money and time to setup each auction. I look at completed auctions or BIN sales to see what the real going prices are. "Make an Offer" can get some sweet deals that way too. All they can say is "no" but, they might say "yes".

Smitty

Re: scho-ka-kola

Post by Smitty » Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 pm

Tedster wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:30 pm
All they can say is "no" but, they might say "yes".
Words to live by
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Victor_88

Post by Victor_88 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:26 am

Yeah i hear ya, like im asking these prices for my rations ain't nobody much biting

Kays1968
eBay name: htcx3

Post by Kays1968 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:59 pm

Forget ebay, I get these on Amazon, one each milk and dark, for $15. Haven't ordered since Covid, though.

-Zed