"Restoring" a 1989 Ration GS Arctic Menu D

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

"Restoring" a 1989 Ration GS Arctic Menu D

Post by Amelieee1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi All, ive recently taken in a GS Arctic for a friend, and before forwarding it to them I am going to be cleaning up and restoring it, mainly the snack portion of the ration but other parts too.
Arctic.PNG
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The snack portion is the main problem, all the chocolate is missing as are the biscuits fruit and the rolos, dextrose tablets, raisins/nuts were all soggy, leaking and wet. This basically covered the whole pack in a nice orange ooze.
I managed to clean this up with paper towel and some water, well the biscuits, raisins and spread.

Raisins look to be one of the causes with this small hole/slit in them, taped over it but left a visible lip just to make sure they know it was resealed.
raisins1.jpg
raisins2.jpg
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now time for the biscuits and spread can as well as the snack portion bag, a simple scrub with a wet paper towel got the muck off of these and got a shine on the can.
The bag I just filled with water then emptied and scrubbed it and its not perfect but it will do. There is some remenants from a rolo wrapper - We will deal with those later.
One of the main issues with cleaning the 'Biscuits Brown BGMB' (No Idea what that stands for, maybe Biscuits Grain something bread?) was the fact that the ooze had gotten under the flaps and settled pretty good,
nothing just a bit of extra attention and time couldnt fix
Snack1.jpg
snack2.jpg
snack3.jpg
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: "Restoring" a 1989 Ration GS Arctic Menu D

Post by Amelieee1 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Rolos Time.

These rolos are truly a crime against god.
They were soggy, wet, saturated, just sticky, wet and disgusting. There is no way I am repairing these.

As you can see these rolos are the ones with the arabic text, a phenomenon in ration packs which service members remember with curiosity because well, they are in arabic for some reason.
Anyways, since these are clearly not savable time to make some repros.
rolo1.jpg
I saw another guy who made a repro rolo for a ration GS, contacted him but he didnt have the file anymore so I did some hunting on the internet, found one like what he used.
This one is an american market version, but unless you are picking for details you wont notice. Rolos and other chocolate in ration packs wasnt the same 100% of the time either.
"The chocy goodies used to get swapped out regularly in ration packs as a maintenance thing. " ...
"every five, or six months they would have to work late to change out chocy ration components from the long term storage rat packs. The packs would get sampled every so often and if a mouldy chocy bar, or sweeties were found they would have to: Open, remove item, replace item, re-seal anything up to about 10,000 rat packs."

Handy thing is, mini rolos from the 80s are the same size as regular rolos today (Who doesn't love prices going up, sizes going down?)
I will attach the sheet, prints to a4, makes 4 rolos comfortably, with one for practice. Ive found a 60% success rate on these, sometimes removing the new wrappers can mess it up a bit.

Anyway here was my first attempt, as you can see, size was a bit small, didnt go around the rolo completely though.
rolo2.jpg
Adjusted the size in photoshop, so it would go around, then just stretched the other to be a bit longer, pretty proud of the result

rolo3.png
rolo4.jpg
Here is the printout, should fit standard british rolos, my ones were 4 packs but shouldnt matter - sorry for the Imgur link, file was too large.

Tune in next time for the bug damage i didnt even notice at first.
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Sailswish

Re: "Restoring" a 1989 Ration GS Arctic Menu D

Post by Sailswish » Thu May 06, 2021 6:11 pm

Next level effort!!