Sensory Testing of Canadian IMPs

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Smitty

Sensory Testing of Canadian IMPs

Post by Smitty » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:41 pm

Here's a master thesis on the sensory testing for Canadian IMP completed in September 2020.

"There was a significant difference in liking between products served hot and at ambient temperature." Can confirm, haha. That's why I like eating these at different temperatures to see. The Beef Macaroni is one of my favourites, but it's absolutely unedible when cold with all that congealed fat. This was interesting though "No significant relationship existed between liking and food intake"

Other interesting thing is 4.1.4 - Most Likes and Least Liked Products
Most and least.png
Cool read though: https://atrium.lib.uoguelph.ca/xmlui/bi ... sAllowed=y
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: Sensory Testing of Canadian IMPs

Post by Amelieee1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:08 am

I have a friend in the canadian army who told me that the poutine is only good when you arent in canada. I actually really liked both poutine and scalloped potatoes with ham, hopefully they dont disappear
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Westview
eBay name: robichj

Post by Westview » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:15 am

I'm surprised the salmon is the least favorite. I had that menu several times and it's my favorite! The salmon is not processed, it's a solid salmon filet.
So it must be a dislike of fish and seafood in general, such a shame because it really is high quality salmon and extremely good for you.

housil

Post by housil » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 pm

Westview wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:15 am

So it must be a dislike of fish and seafood in general, such a shame because it really is high quality salmon and extremely good for you.
100% agree.
I had these salmon IMPs twice and really liked and enjoyed them. I was happy to had a fish dish at all.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:46 pm

Does anyone have a review of Shepherd's Pie?
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:53 pm

jfko6 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:46 pm
Does anyone have a review of Shepherd's Pie?
Yup, several options on Youtube. It’s not bad, a little watery but easy to eat since it’s fairly bland. Comes with the date square usually (which I don’t really like)
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Kays1968
eBay name: htcx3

Post by Kays1968 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:04 pm

Smitty wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:53 pm
Comes with the date square usually (which I don’t really like)
Love Love Love the date square. The shepherds pie was my first IMP. Every time I get it I make the vanilla shake thick, warm the date square and put the vanilla foam on top. YUUMMMM.....

My single favorite ration dessert, EVER.

-Zed

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:15 pm

It’s a poor approximation of this beauty which I’m currently eating:
32E55507-210A-4213-880F-5C833477013A.jpeg
All the best, Gents.

mashfan4077+

Post by mashfan4077+ » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:29 pm

Now that is what a date square should be! The IMP version is terrible

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:41 pm

I find US MRE's to be horrible, but only nasty when heated and more than not the components need heating.
Westview wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:15 am
I'm surprised the salmon is the least favorite. I had that menu several times and it's my favorite! The salmon is not processed, it's a solid salmon filet.
I fully agree, a premium fillet of Salmon. It's $20 a pound at the store. People over there really not like salmon? That fillet is too good for soldiers. Perhaps my favorite along with the Beef Macaroni. Worst is that Poutine. I mean, sure, it's a bad copy of the real thing, but it's just awful no matter what. Rubber cheese in that bland sauce.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"