Are any other American guys squeamish about Eastern European rations?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Teddydogno1

Are any other American guys squeamish about Eastern European rations?

Post by Teddydogno1 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:11 pm

About 2 years ago I went pretty crazy with buying foreign rations. I've enjoyed quite a few of them and look forward to trying others.

The British, German and Canadian have all been great. I look forward to eating the Spanish (3), French (3), Polish (3) and Lithuanian (4) ones.

But for some reason, I'm hesitant to eat the Russian (I have, I think, 3 different kinds--IRP, MVD and Mountain, all BB 2019), Latvian (unk BB) and Kazakhstan (BB 12/2019) rations. They were all fairly expensive and are all approaching at least 1 year past "Best by" dates. I'm slightly concerned about any kind of contamination or poor quality control, and more about the "clash of palates".

So I'm trying to decide whether to eat them, or sell them. Or a little of each. What are your thoughts? Consume, or not consume?

Rob

Bruh

Re: Are any other American guys squeamish about Eastern European rations?

Post by Bruh » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:03 pm

I’d go for just eating it, I’ve only had the Russian irp and winter one and they were quite good, I’d say any poor quality control is simply part of the experience, There wasn’t anything that was so drastically different in regards to palate that it was inedible for me but I suppose that’d differ for everyone.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:43 am

I wouldn't be squeamish about eating them - they probably are not going to make you sick. As to if you will actually enjoy them, thats another matter entirely.. I have tried all of the mentioned rations at one time or another (except for the new Kazak ration - ate the old one though). Honestly those Eastern European rations you mentioned are definitely nothing special when it comes to tase and In fact are very very low on my list of go-to rations. But hey, thats just my opinion, to each his own!

If you have never tried one of each before - I vote try it. If you have tried one of each, sell them and buy a UK ORP, you will thank me later.
Last edited by cavguy on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teddydogno1

Post by Teddydogno1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:35 pm

I went back to You Tube and re-watched some reviews of the Russian rations and I"m feeling better about them again. I may just sell my duplicates so someone else can "enjoy" them while they are still OK.

Anyone else looking forward to "brain and liver pate" from some FSB rations? That's one I WON'T be consuming. Salted fat? Hmmm.

I'd still like to hear from more folks.

Rob

Rms2324

Post by Rms2324 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:49 am

I’ve eaten rations from about 35 different countries, all at least semi decent.

The Russians one have been nothing but shit to me personally. Low, low quality meat. Like not fit for human consumption quality. Everything in them is just... nasty.

Not a picky eater, I’m a Palestinian who loves a lot of weird shit but man those Russian rations are ass and a half.
Always looking for international ration sellers in the USA!

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:23 pm

I actually really like the Russian ones.

They only catch is, they dont have the shelf life that many other rations do. While i have no problem eating far expired stuff from most countries, Russian dont last too far after exp. But i suppose the canned item would hold up fairly well. Those tin tray items are not very sturdy

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:36 am

ViperGTS wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:23 pm
I actually really like the Russian ones.

They only catch is, they dont have the shelf life that many other rations do. While i have no problem eating far expired stuff from most countries, Russian dont last too far after exp. But i suppose the canned item would hold up fairly well. Those tin tray items are not very sturdy
I think I've seen the crazy Russian hacker eat Russian military rations that were no more than 2 years out of date and he seemed fine
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:54 am

Militaryration_guy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:36 am

I think I've seen the crazy Russian hacker eat Russian military rations that were no more than 2 years out of date and he seemed fine
I'm not a fan of that guy, but 2 years after exp is about the max for Russian... But, i plan to review some of my older Russian soon, so we will see :D

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:29 am

Russian rations are among my favorites. I would buy them to eat were they in our stores.

It's the French entrees that sometimes taste weird to me, seasoned for a European palette.

I haven't been squeamish about eating any ration I bought that isn't too horribly out of date, usually less than over 5 years out of date from over 30 countries. I have also eaten very old US rations but were preserved well.

I dug up a 27 year old C-rat can of scrambled eggs and ham while scooping dog poop in a neighbor's yard. Lining of the can stuck to the contents, but I still ate it because I actually liked that one.

As long as the packaging isn't compromised in a hermetically sealed food item, it won't hurt you. Contents just won't have the quality of taste, texture, and and nutrition as when fresh.

Watch some Steve1989 and see what he eats. Slightly out of date Russian rations would not even slow him down.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

M R Eedy
eBay name: Creeder

Post by M R Eedy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:56 am

I've only had a couple russian rations but they where decent and your right about steve he will be like I'm not even trying that wait no hold on no deffanantly spoiled as he takes another bite