Are any other American guys squeamish about Eastern European rations?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
GunnarTheFeisty

Re: Are any other American guys squeamish about Eastern European rations?

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:53 pm

mikeoverhere wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:29 am
Russian rations are among my favorites. I would buy them to eat were they in our stores.

It's the French entrees that sometimes taste weird to me, seasoned for a European palette.

I haven't been squeamish about eating any ration I bought that isn't too horribly out of date, usually less than over 5 years out of date from over 30 countries. I have also eaten very old US rations but were preserved well.

I dug up a 27 year old C-rat can of scrambled eggs and ham while scooping dog poop in a neighbor's yard. Lining of the can stuck to the contents, but I still ate it because I actually liked that one.

As long as the packaging isn't compromised in a hermetically sealed food item, it won't hurt you. Contents just won't have the quality of taste, texture, and and nutrition as when fresh.

Watch some Steve1989 and see what he eats. Slightly out of date Russian rations would not even slow him down.
how were the eggs?
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Post by wats6831 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:45 pm

I've had them all and the best ration I've ever had is Slovakia.

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:28 pm

wats6831 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:45 pm
I've had them all and the best ration I've ever had is Slovakia.
I've been trying to get a Slovakian, we all need to move there so they make more rations
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Westview
eBay name: robichj

Post by Westview » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:34 pm

I find the Russian (and the post soviet union countries) really enjoy their beef with barley, or beef with vegetables. But I find their beef to be very greasy and salty, and I doubt it would pass Canada or USA FDA inspection. But some people like it so I guess it's just a matter of personal preference :D

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:15 pm

GunnarTheFeisty wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:53 pm
how were the eggs?
Good. The texture of the eggs in the C-Rats are not like the MRE yellow sponge. I actually enjoyed the ham and eggs c-rat.

The lining of the can stuck to the outside of the eggs, so I just didn't eat that part. I miss them, I prefer c rations to MREs. That was the last C-rat item I ever ate. Before that I used to eat a lot of them because that's what the Boy Scouts gave us during Jamborees where I live.

BTW part of the reason for my fondness of Russian (or some other Slavic) rations, I love greasy and salty stuff. If you don't, you aren't going to like them so much.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"