Why does the meat in Russian rations taste so low quality? I’ve tasted meat-for-dogs of better quality

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Rms2324

Why does the meat in Russian rations taste so low quality? I’ve tasted meat-for-dogs of better quality

Post by Rms2324 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:13 am

Howdy, so as the title says I’m not talking about taste, just the quality of the meat.

Every time I open a main from a Russian ration, it’s probably 60% or greater of fat and the meat that is there is absolutely god awful. I mean it’s shit quality

I’ve had beef and chicken tender dog treats that had higher quality meat than these (don’t judge). What gives? Russia I feel definitely has the means and capability of putting in mains that aren’t dog shit!!

Just wanted some insight, it’s frustrating because every time I order a Russian ration I expect it to be different but every time it’s the same unbelievably low-grade, not fit for human consumption kinda meat.
Always looking for international ration sellers in the USA!

housil

Re: Why does the meat in Russian rations taste so low quality? I’ve tasted meat-for-dogs of better quality

Post by housil » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:50 am

Opinion #1: Fat is high on energy so it provides the soldiers the "power" they need, especial during Russian winters.

Opinion #2: The government doesn´t care about their troops and provide the cheapest they can get. :wink:

Rms2324

Re: Why does the meat in Russian rations taste so low quality? I’ve tasted meat-for-dogs of better quality

Post by Rms2324 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:44 am

housil wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:50 am
Opinion #1: Fat is high on energy so it provides the soldiers the "power" they need, especial during Russian winters.

Opinion #2: The government doesn´t care about their troops and provide the cheapest they can get. :wink:
Fair outlook on both sides!

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:49 am

housil wrote:

Option #2, #1 is just an added bonus
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Rms2324

Post by Rms2324 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 am

koreyyy1 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:49 am
housil wrote:

Option #2, #1 is just an added bonus
I’m gonna go with this one, there are much better ways to implement cold-weather nutrition instead of just slapping super-low quality meat with heaps of fat into a tin and saying “enjoy!”

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:12 pm

Weird, the beef in Russian rations is my favorite. I love that fatty meat. Tushonka is of simple ingredients and very tender meat. I like it when it's chunky, not so much when it's ground. I like it so much I buy the same thing in a European grocery store in my town. The Kasha is also fatty, but that's the way I like it, especially when out in the bush and it's cold. The Russian rations, especially the Winter or SF are always favorite because they are loaded with meat products. US MRE's don't have good plain meat like that, it's usually overly processed, super lean so no flavor, dry, hard, and of extremely low quality - far harder to eat than the Russian. I'll take the Russian beef over the others all day long.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

housil

Post by housil » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:54 pm

mikeoverhere wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:12 pm
I'll take the Russian beef over the others all day long.
I think there are personall prefernces. The biggest disatventage of fat meat or any oil/fat is, it gets rancid. But fat has the highest amount of energy. 1g = 9kcal, carbs have only 4 kcal per g (alcohol has 7 kcal per g). The "bland" taste on US rations is due to their reduce amount of salt.

Me in person, I don´t like the fatty, Russian rations and can´t eat them.

Rms2324

Post by Rms2324 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:57 pm

housil wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:54 pm
mikeoverhere wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:12 pm
I'll take the Russian beef over the others all day long.
I think there are personall prefernces. The biggest disatventage of fat meat or any oil/fat is, it gets rancid. But fat has the highest amount of energy. 1g = 9kcal, carbs have only 4 kcal per g (alcohol has 7 kcal per g). The "bland" taste on US rations is due to their reduce amount of salt.

Me in person, I don´t like the fatty, Russian rations and can´t eat them.
Same with me. Not a picky eater whatsoever, love trying new stuff but the large amounts of fat in the meat makes it near-impossible for me to eat much less enjoy them

Daithi

Post by Daithi » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:50 am

A delicacy I discovered when visiting Moscow was Rye bread spread with a local version of dripping. Pork fat chopped with mixed herbs and spices and a bit of meat.

I've found similar in Germany and pork dripping is still available in the UK in some places

Dripping is generally all the juices from the bottom of the pan when you roast beef or pork. So you get the meat juices and fats together in a pot. It used to be way of not wasting anything from expensive meat.

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:41 am

Daithi wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:50 am
A delicacy I discovered when visiting Moscow was Rye bread spread with a local version of dripping. Pork fat chopped with mixed herbs and spices and a bit of meat.

I've found similar in Germany and pork dripping is still available in the UK in some places

Dripping is generally all the juices from the bottom of the pan when you roast beef or pork. So you get the meat juices and fats together in a pot. It used to be way of not wasting anything from expensive meat.
In the UK, atleast in my household we use the drippings from roast beef and sometimes lamb to put on the roast potatoes, makes them godly.
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations