Can we talk about the PR1M?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
FiveStar

Can we talk about the PR1M?

Post by FiveStar » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:42 am

I think I’ve secured two to add to the collect. Pretty excited, have been searching for a few years now.
My question though, is why are these things so hard to find? Also with the global wars winding down (probably), I think they will become even more rare. Surely they will keep making them for the ADF guys but does anyone else agree they are super hard to get/find? Anyone know much about them?
Cheers.

cavguy

Re: Can we talk about the PR1M?

Post by cavguy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:47 am

So besides, one ration being freeze dried, etc. - one of the main differences is who the rations are issued to;

CR1M - Regular Army, etc.
PR1M - Special Operations Forces

By nature, usually there are going to be less SOF personnel, than there are regular forces. This could indeed be the reason why the PR1M are less common. Awhile back I had two full "cans" of PR1M - this was when OIF was winding down. I know there were Australian forces deployed to Baghdad area as part of MNF-I (Multi-National Forces Iraq) and they also do joint training in places like Ft. Bragg stateside.

The PR1M is a nice ration, but I found the main meals lacking flavor. I would not want to eat this ration for longer than 1 week max in the field.

Source: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a616391.pdf

"PR1M is used by Special Forces soldiers, yet does not comply with vitamin and mineral RNCs. This is of particular concern as Special Forces soldiers ‘push the envelope’ with respect to physical activity levels and endurance. For good cognitive and physical performance appropriate levels of nutrition, and particularly vitamins and minerals, are needed."

FiveStar

Re: Can we talk about the PR1M?

Post by FiveStar » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:13 am

Thanks, I really enjoyed reading your reply. Very informative.