Oatmeal Block Recipe

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Oatmeal Block Recipe

Post by Amelieee1 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:32 am

I was browsing the web looking at the old G.S rations and found this recipe, I haven't tried it but I'm sure someone here will.

"Mix all of the dry ingredients together: 60g medium oatmeal; 60g wholemeal flour; 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda; pinch of salt; 30g golden caster sugar.

Stir in 20g (a tablespoon) of melted lard, followed by 5 tablespoons of boiling water (75ml) and mix to a stiff dough. If it's stoo sticky (it shouldn't stick to your hands), add oatmeal and flour in equal quantities until the mix is right. If it's too dry, add a bit more boiling water.

Roll it out on a well floured board to about 5mm thick (thickness of a biscuit) and cut out using a 3" pastry cutter. Put on a greased baking sheet and bake at Gas Mark 6 for 10-20 minutes. The recipe said 10 minutes, but I found that it needed 20 minutes in my oven to get them nice and crisp. They definitely want to turn a few shades darker than they start off so they are nice and golden brown.

This quantity made about 9 biscuits."
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations