Are the various departments Russian rations are marked for actually eat them?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Are the various departments Russian rations are marked for actually eat them?

Post by mikeoverhere » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:58 am

Every time I turn around, there are new Russian rations out for various organizations. Is this just a marketing thing used to sell rations commercially or are they really for those they say they are and if so, how often are they consumed? For example, do they really make a special ration for national guard instead of just issuing them military rations? Is that really a KGB/Spetsnaz ration or just clever marketing? Mixture of actual military issue and commercial I assume. Are the rations eaten at times other than say training and emergencies/war? I admire the way Russia has really pushed the rations variety.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

Smitty

Re: Are the various departments Russian rations are marked for actually eat them?

Post by Smitty » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:00 am

I feel you. I have a few Russian rations but typically don’t buy more because of the same reason you mention. I don’t want to spend money on a fake or commercial variety.

In addition, it all seems quite bog standard, with several exceptions. Perhaps RUfriend can lend a hand. He served and sells rations.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

DBCT

Re: Are the various departments Russian rations are marked for actually eat them?

Post by DBCT » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:58 pm

I have wondered if there is just a company in Russia producing MREs specifically for commercial sales overseas. I just find it hard to believe that with the very minor differences between some of the rations that it would be worth it to the military to even bother changing the name and packaging. Even for other government departments, if you are only changing 1-2 small items in a ration, why would you change the entire shape and box design of a ration? It would be much easier to just use the same packaging and just print a different design on the outside.