any replacments for RCIR confiscated mains?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
vashts1985

any replacments for RCIR confiscated mains?

Post by vashts1985 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:35 pm

recently bought a RCIR #12 and sure enough, customs took the meat. well that's half the fun of trying an ration, cooking up the meat in the tin can! is there any suitable replacements out there that are legally available in the US?

Smitty

Re: any replacments for RCIR confiscated mains?

Post by Smitty » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Ah dang, rough go. Until recently, MRE Nation had some Salmon mains, but it appears they are sold out now. ForeignMRE have a few full fish meals in stock, but no mains. You'll likely get out of country stock with MRE Mountain. theepicenter has nothing, and allmre's has nothing either.

Perhaps if you hit up the Buy and Sell, some folks might have some mains that they can sell you. I think that'll likely be the best bet.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

ToaLehvak

Post by ToaLehvak » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:10 pm

If you have a world market near you they usually have the French sardines cans (I’ve found them. All over Texas) and they’re common here in France.

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:14 pm

vashts1985 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:35 pm
recently bought a RCIR #12 and sure enough, customs took the meat. well that's half the fun of trying an ration, cooking up the meat in the tin can! is there any suitable replacements out there that are legally available in the US?
This was posted, all rcir items
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10790

I have a handful of complete 2022 rcir (in US) guess I got lucky

vashts1985

Post by vashts1985 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:01 am

thanks for the heads up.

Ren

Post by Ren » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Hello all!

I ordered RCIR's 6 and 10 to try out.

Here's hoping they don't go nuts and remove the mains. They are not expired, so maybe that is the issue? I can see why they would remove expired meat.

Nice part: I'll be able to tell if the packages are violated since they come wrapped in sealed plastic.

ETA is Monday. It's exciting! Took 9 days, if they arrive as scheduled.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:39 pm

Ren wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:28 pm
Here's hoping they don't go nuts and remove the mains. They are not expired, so maybe that is the issue? I can see why they would remove expired meat.
The expiry is not the issue unfortunately. The issue is that the meat, even though it’s been thermostabilized, was not done in an approved facility for import, and customs will (if they inspect it) remove the meat based items.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

vashts1985

Post by vashts1985 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:16 pm

i believe its something about the box the sniffer dogs can smell. ive had other foreign meals come thru from outside the states just fine. it sounds like a very RCIR problem.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:25 pm

vashts1985 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:16 pm
i believe its something about the box the sniffer dogs can smell. ive had other foreign meals come thru from outside the states just fine. it sounds like a very RCIR problem.
It is not. They just don’t open all the parcels that come into the US so it is luck of the draw. Have a look at Mike’s thread on the USDA. Even Canadian IMP mains have been confiscated and several are made in the US, with a USDA approved stamp. Since the shipper didn’t have a permit, those were removed.

It’s just against the import regulations, so when found, it’s taken.
All the best, Gents.

madog346

Post by madog346 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:38 pm

I’ve got an open menu 7 RCIR made 2016 that the kids ate all the bars out of. I still have all 4 cans that came in it. I can send them to you if you still need them.