Interesting info on UK 10 man ration

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
JediMindTricks

Interesting info on UK 10 man ration

Post by JediMindTricks » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:01 am

Around the time back in 2002 that UK Forces, most notably 45 Commando and Special Forces, went on the offensive against al-Qaeda in Eastern Afghanistan, close to the Pakistan border, the UK Ministry of Defence introduced a new 10-man Ration Pack for chefs to use in simple field kitchens at deployed locations.

One pack contained the basics to sustain ten soldiers over a 24-hour period but by supplementing with locally sourced fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and bread it was possible to feed more personnel. Based on operational lessons, these 10-man packs have evolved just like the individual 24-hour ORP.

During the 3 [UK] Division Exercise TRACTABLE ’16 on Salisbury Plain, where a tented field kitchen capable of feeding over 1,000 personnel was set up on the Old Carter Barracks site, we grabbed the opportunity to both sample meals and photograph the contents of 10-man ration packs which the chefs were using to feed the hungry hordes on this major logistics deployment exercise. Using just a bank of Kärcher diesel-powered BFK-FC Multi Cooking Modules with associated Hotplates and Ovens plus 10-man rations supplemented with fruit and veg, a Lance Corporal and four privates were able to produce 1,456 portions at both Lunch and Dinner with no less than six different main courses at each sitting!

Each 10-man Ration Pack, of which I identified at least five different Menu Variants, consists of two brown cardboard cartons inside a large outer carton and the batch stacked up outside the field kitchen contained 28 packs on each pallet; i.e. one pallet is sufficient to feed a typical infantry platoon and attached personnel totalling 40 pax for one week. By my reckoning that equates to close on one million calories in a single stack.

We did not have the chance to photograph each item in the pack individually, and our hosts were actually pleasantly surprised that we were paying so much attention to the contents, but we were able to snap components in groups. It is pretty amazing just what army chefs can come up with from those basic ingredients, but one NCO explained to us that they enjoy the challenge of creating new and appetising unusual dishes to break the routine for both themselves and their customers.

Lunch options on the day we photographed in the kitchen included: Hot Baguettes, freshly baked and filled with roast turkey, pork or lamb; Mince & Onion Pies; Bratwurst with Rice and Curry Sauce; Meatballs & Pasta; Fish Fingers; and a Veggie Option. Accompanying sides included Baked Potatoes, New Potatoes, Egg Fried Rice, Baked Beans, Peas, Mixed Veg and Gravy. A salad bar and assorted fruit were also provided along with hot and cold drinks. The evening meal, for the same numbers, was even more complex with a choice of three types of dessert as well.

Over the last thirty years I have been fed by Army, and Royal Navy, chefs on exercises and operations from the Arctic to the Balkans. I have yet to be disappointed by the field catering.

Image Image Image

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Re: Interesting info on UK 10 man ration

Post by mikeoverhere » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:43 am

Dang that rations looks good! I know I would love all the components I see in there. It's like I put it together myself with my own choices. I would be very happy eating that for 10 days all by myself.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:59 am

I have recently seen some of the bev bases on ebay for about £10 each but thaey make like 10L
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

housil

Post by housil » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:19 am

Have three earlier ones of these
10mann4.jpg
10mann11.jpg
10mann12.jpg
10mann13.jpg
10mann17.jpg

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:52 am

Cool!
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Cookoff013

Post by Cookoff013 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:04 pm

I couldnt eat that in 24h.
"Yeah, I can eat that" - cookoff013 2018
ORP 1-to-20
MRE 1-2-7-8-17
RCIR 2-4-5